Who is ready to join the party and short the market?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vincentnyc, Feb 11, 2018.

short thr market?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ironchef

ironchef

How about GE? If you invest in GE back in the 1970s like Overnight said, you would have done extremely well even at the price of $14.8 today, LOL:

upload_2018-2-14_12-28-15.png

You cost per share is ~ $0.75 a share so your dividend yield today would be ~ 64% per year. Not too shabby.

#51     Feb 14, 2018
  2. Man those boring as fang stock. Some of my winners today are hiiq, xnet, cenx, cboe, ipgp. Holla at yo boy when you ready to step up to the big league.

#52     Feb 14, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

I just went long GE early this week.

#53     Feb 14, 2018
  4. So I what? If I bought appl or msft back in the 90’s I would have been a millionaire by now.

#54     Feb 14, 2018
  5. ironchef

ironchef

I did.:D

#55     Feb 14, 2018
  6. o_O

You said the market was a short on Sunday. I've been long since Friday.

I'm long GE! Since December. :(

Pretty sure that's going to be a turn-around story this year though.

#56     Feb 14, 2018
  7. ironchef

ironchef

You are actually supporting Overnight's point: If you are a long term investor, by holding almost any major companies' stock for a few decades, even a monkey picking stocks can be very well off.

Best wishes and good luck to you.

#57     Feb 14, 2018
  8. ironchef

ironchef

You were usually a little quicker than me. I wanted to take a position in December but analyzing GE's FA were more difficult than most typical companies so it took me a couple of more months to reach the same conclusion.

Regards,

#58     Feb 14, 2018
    beerntrading likes this.
  9. How about if you invest in company like Enron, bear stern, Lehman brothers etc? How much is your investment now if you just left your money with those company? 40% of the Fortune 500 companies from 2000 no longer exist in 2010. I let you marinate that in your head just for a bit.

#59     Feb 14, 2018
  10. Actually, it was less that it was a turn-around prospect than it was a distressed company with good enough cash flow to keep up the (newly reduced) dividend. That this could be The big turn around of the year isn't something that crossed my mind until well after (I mean, there was always that seed, but that wasn't the investment thesis).

I've been shorting puts on it, holding a LEAP call, and shorting calls against that. So my cost basis is somewhere around 16.80 right now--though after blowing an order today (wrong expiry), that probably going to go up.

#60     Feb 14, 2018