Who is IB's Data Feed Provider?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by version77, Feb 21, 2002.

1. alanm

alanm

Heh. If they won't tell DEF, maybe the real answer isn't forthcoming soon, so I'll throw in my two cents of speculation :)

Lacking evidence to the contrary, I'd believe that the NYSE quotes come from the NYSE itself. I've watched them against other quote vendors and they are always the fastest. It routinely beats myTrack (who gets quotes from S&P), for example, by over a second.

Now, if we could just get IB to show those opening indications in NYSE stocks like they used to...

I have evidence that Instinet, Island, REDIBook, and ARCA are all coming from those individual ECNs, too.

I have no experience regarding the NASDAQ feed(s).

#11     Feb 25, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

they can tell me, i just need to dig to find the right person. Problem is when I left for HK I knew everybody. Now, with over 500 people the question is more like - do they know me :)

US OPTIONS, I found out some more info: The Options Price Reporting Authority is set up as both syndicate and monopoly. Participants are forbidden from distributing data outside of OPRA as a condition of participating in the revenue. The ISE received a no action letter from the SEC permitting the distribution of data outside of OPRA to its members for the purposes needed to market make. Thus it would be a violation to distribute this data to our clients.

#12     Feb 25, 2002
  3. Def,

Are the e-mini quotes that IB provides the Realtime or 10 minute delay. I haven't signed up for the e-mini quotes and I assume they are realtime for $30/mo. I've seen statements in other locations that the realtime were around $70/mo, just wanted to inquire and relieve the assumption.

I really like the TWS approach to trading and the related cost.

Thanks

#13     Feb 28, 2002
  4. Nordic

Nordic

Alanm,

How did IB get NYSE opening indications? Did they charge for it? Can any vendor get these.

Thanks

Nordic

#14     Feb 28, 2002
  5. The cost of GLOBEX (CME electronic) is $10 per month for real time quotes. IB charges its customers that amount, or waives the charge if you have more than $30 (from memory) in commission per month.

#15     Feb 28, 2002
  6. IB's e-mini data feed is definitely real-time and is outstanding. The past 3 days running, my esignal quotes have lagged up to 80 seconds between 10AM and 10:30AM ET when release of economic data has resulted in some very fast and very heavily traded markets. Esignal has posted bulletins informing customers that the *CME has experienced a slowdown in transmitting Globex2 messages* and claimed that the entire ticker vendor network was affected by an avalanche of trades that computers could not keep up with during those 30-minute periods. Yet the IB quotes were obviously way ahead of esignal's and given the one fill I received trading off the IB quote on Tuesday, the feed was definitely up to speed. There was up to a 4-point discrepancy between eSignal and IB feeds Tuesday morning on the ES ----- no small matter indeed in the futures! Today the esignal lag never extended beyond 8-9 seconds, but even that is much too much. Mini traders beware, and thank heavens for the IB feed which was able to keep up with the market and tell traders where the market actually was throughout the day!

#16     Feb 28, 2002
  7. stevet

stevet

i dont use IB, but i used to use Esignal - and whilst i did not like them as a company - their data was preety much up to speed - however if the data on IB is from Globex, this should be a direct and unchecked feed direct from Globex via IB, whereas the data from Esignal will come from a seperate vendor feed - and then go to Esignal servers etc and then to the Esignal customers - so the data could be delayed arriving at ESignal or leaving Esignal

You are paying for real time - get a discount!

I am preety sure i have the above logic right, perhaps someone else could comment because i am always concerned about data delays and use leading indicators for cash, the cash and the main and eminis data to trade

#17     Feb 28, 2002
  8. LOL, don't think there has ever been a 30 minute period of 'avalanch' proportions.

If you ever see one, you won't like it.

Esignal, They are obviously pulling your chain.

#18     Feb 28, 2002
  9. alanm

alanm

I'm pretty confident that they are part of the consolidated tape feed that all the vendors get. Track Data has them - I think they get their feed via S&P.

I know I've seen them at IB a long time ago. My guess is that they disabled them because newbies assumed they were firm quotes and got in trouble trying to trade off them. It would be nice to not have to keep looking at the other display during those hectic pre-opening minutes in gapping stocks.

#19     Feb 28, 2002
  10. CHICAGO MERCANTILE EXCHANGE INC.

FEBRUARY 26, 2002

TO: Market Data Vendors

RE: IMPORTANT - Today's Slowdown of CME Quote Vendor Network

Today, the existing CME Quote Vendor Network experienced a slowdown in
    transmitting messages, between 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., Chicago Time. The
    cause has been determined to be an increased amount of GLOBEX market data
    that could not be sufficiently accommodated on the existing network during
    that time frame. As you are aware, this is the primary reason for our
    planned conversion to the new network

We are in the process of investigating ways to prevent this from recurring
    while we finalize our plans for implementing the new network. One solution
    being considered is to transmit one of the major GLOBEX products along
    with the RTH products, down port one of the existing network, rather than
    port three. Of course, whatever GLOBEX product we choose, it would retain
    the Exchange ID of H, to indicate a GLOBEX. Please let us know immediately
    if you see this as a problem. In addition to this proposal, other interim
    options are being reviewed. As soon as a decision is made, we will notify
    you. Testing will then be scheduled, and the change will be moved into
    production as soon as possible to prevent any future slowdowns.

Thank you for your continued support.

#20     Mar 1, 2002