Who is actually making money trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stockoptionstrader, Aug 8, 2016.

1. I see a lot of negativity, jealousy and arrogance on this forum.

Are these people failed at trading, frustrated because they are bad traders?

Share me your thoughts about this, are there actually people making money here?

Let's learn from them in a positive way!

2. K-Pia

K-Pia

I guess there are peoples making money.
    Even if that's quite a fuzzy statement.
    Some exceptions are living from it.
    More never really made nor lost.
    A minority has made but lost.
    The majority never made.
    But lose or paper trade.

Don't bother about negative people.
    Or laugh about them if what they're saying ain't wise.
    Good criticism can appear negative. If it ain't good ... Ignore. Laugh.
    It's up to you. You must not feel that negativity... You just do it.

I guess poor performance is a vector for negativity.
    But it's not necessary nor causal ...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  3. The people that seem to be angry or arrogant are most likely paper traders, or people that are simply upset that their trading hasn't worked out very well so far. I've had a positive P/L YoY since 2013, and use some simple, tried & true options trading methods.

Most people that lose money fall victims to breaking the simple rules of trading (doubling down on losses, moving stops, moving limits, not managing risk properly, trading off of emotion, etc.). People that repeatedly show that they have mental weakness become bitter, lose lots of money, and likely vent a lot of that frustration on here. So to answer your question, yes lol.

4. K-Pia

K-Pia

Agree & IMHO not standing the heat in that forum reflects a kind of weakness ^^

5. Handle123

Handle123

I am on front porch, in my rocking chair, using my knife and wittling a piece of wood, got my dog with huge floppy ears checking out the neighbors daughters wearing those new halters and G-strings with my brand new binoculars.....You bet am jealous as my other neighbor has better bino's than me, yea Redneck always gets the better glasses than I can git.

Stockoptionstrader----Baron was nice enough to have a "Ignore" button, then you don't have to even see those who you believe to be negative.

Sekiyo, beginner66, Xela and 2 others like this.
  6. birzos

birzos

It used to be 95% failed at trading, now it's 99% and soon it will be 99.9%, they can't handle the volatility as everything is moving to fat-tail events, lots of flat and then rapid spikes. The people who make the money are those selling the services, seminars, books, and managing funds.

It's very simple, to trade like a pro you have a very small margin of error, 1% wrong and you get nothing. The service providers and fund managers only have to prove a 1% or 5% gain and people will buy it like hot cakes, it feeds their greed, everyone wants growth. Most get negative returns but the providers dilute that by saying it was a bad year or it was your mistake not doing it properly, then the next year is the same and so on, dilution is the greatest myth of life.

So made +19% of account last month on one trade, it's via via a fund who specialize in these high value trades. These forums as you say are not necessarily angry people, but people think that a 1% or 5% gain is being successful, they're delusional but that's not necessarily their fault. So when someone comes along with 8% that will set them off, or when they are negative because the 5% method they bought is useless, they will not be impressed.

It's cheap to lie, a lot of people want other people to feel useless to match their own situation, unfortunately it normally works. The trick is to ignore them, never respond to replies, actually don't even read them, 99% of the time it is some idiot who wants to pretend their 5% actually means something intelligent.

Ghost_of_Blotto likes this.
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Lots of people make $$ trading. When I started in the mid 90's at an All-Tech office in Michigan there were all kinds of aspiring traders. A guy who worked 2nd shift at Ford in Engineering, a couple stay at home Mom's, a guy with his Series 7 & 55, an accountant, an opthamologist, a CPA, an ex Merrill Lynch guy and probably 20 more. Over time some would just quit showing up. And you knew that they'd let a bad trade go from bad to worse and ultimately decimated their account. By the late 90's when NASDAQ was over 5000 in late '99 and early 2000 there were so many undisciplined wanna be traders. They'd chase any tech stock and when stocks moved a point in under a minute, trading in 1/8's and 1/4's, you could be sitting on a nice gain (or a nasty loss) since many guys back then always traded 1000 shares via the SOES route since market makers had to display 1000 as their size. We had one guy who would routinely make (or lose) 5 figures a day. He'd make $20K Monday give back $10K Tuesday and so on. But he was disciplined and knew losses were part of the game. And that's what I learned from him long ago. You can't bat 1.000 but winning 60 - 75% of the time is possible. Anymore I mainly trade the same stocks over and over which can work if you know what range they tend to trade in.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    ken__0 and K-Pia like this.
  8. ET180

ET180

Insiders / politicians / Hillary Clinton

9. TradeCat

TradeCat

I love these threads. All the pizza delivery and uber drivers pretending to be Wall St prodigies come out of the woodworks to post.

Windlesham1 likes this.
  10. RRY16

RRY16

Whittling wood on the porch like Jed Clampett, model T @ the oil change garage, Bon voyage vacation gone for good, I don't know what to make of all this.

#10     Aug 8, 2016