Who is a professional daytrader in this forum?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kickboxers, Jul 23, 2008.

1. hyipgod

hyipgod

hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm a day trader

#91     Aug 10, 2008
  2. :D :D :D

#92     Aug 10, 2008
  3. skot99

skot99

1% per day is incredibly easy and simple to do. Let's look at at FX Futures on the CME. Take your pick, EUR, YEN, whatever. 2000 per contract intraday margin. 10$ per tik. On a ten K account it's one puny trade or a pike for 2 tiks and you are done. Pick your method, use Bollinger Bands, whatever, average daily range is 150tiks and there are infinite opportunities in the patterns. You need two little tiks to do 1%. If you can't find a setup for two tiks then you had better stop trading now.

So Mr. Big Swinger with your big cash trades, we only wish we could be as infinitely knowledgeable as your incredible self.

Their is however an issue with achieving the OP's goal with consistency. Do you have the will power to stop your winning 1% trading day, even if it takes 10 minutes of your day, can you walk away. If you love to trade and you love the market, ironically, the 1%/day plan may be impossible for you.

Last night I did 50% on my account trading one contract, a few hundred or so scalps. Sadly, and as usual when I get into such a trading state I gave it back. Trading without a plan get you nowhere, eventually your mind will lose sense of relativity in all facets of trading, risk, money, etc. You might just throw all caution to the wind, take a long shot for Nirvana and find yourself right back down at ground zero. And so goes your dreams of 1 a day way to the good life. If you can't keep your focus on this rather boring and small task of getting two tiks per day you will not be able to trade this plan for any length of time. Eventually you will binge trade and die. Addicts and other weak minded fools lose eventually.

1%/day on a 10K account is in fact too easy, that's why it can't be done. AS for the people talking about size, unfortunately if you can show me a market where one can scalp for billions of notional, well you just can't. The only place trades of that size are done is in the interbank market, and I know this because I was an interbank broker, and know, they aren't trying to clip each other for a point per day, that is not the point of their existence. Anyways, on a 10k, a few contracts, you can simple as pie make 1% a day. The question is do you have the ability to follow your plan or are you an emotional addict destined to become punch drunk with the ease of your success. In the moment will you be able to turn it off for one day, let alone every day of your trading career. If you are unable to stop with one point, your stated goal, you are destined to give it all back and more. This is the hardest part of trading. It's not making a little winning trade, or scalp as the case may be. There are other issues working against you as well, especially the ego if you are a know it all or one who likes to push their limits in this area. Are you able to accept 'your work' as being done when it is such a no-brainer easy thing. It's achievable without any real thought processes other than knowing your product very well, knowing it's moves and patterns, and left click right click. Chances are you will want more than 1% from the market be it money or something else.

Simplicity or complexity, chances are you like one but subscribe to the other or both. This it the paradox in trading and what certainly has drawn me to it.

If you can manage yourself with complete discipline in the ego/money management department, 1%/per day really is too easy. Try not to blow up too many accounts discovering that the true art of it is to keep it simple and spend as little time trading as possible. Then you might have a chance at doing your one point consistently. Good luck with it.

#93     Jul 25, 2009
  4. skot99

skot99

I would love to see how you are going to nimbly scalp for two ticks using 150 EUR/USD contracts. If you spent any time looking at the market you would know the market will not allow you to do so very often. EUR is one of the most liquid contracts on the exchange and it averages about 70 contracts per minute. With this money contracts, trying to scalp, you are a sitting duck.

#94     Jul 25, 2009
  5. thanks for digging up a dumb thread from its grave

#95     Jul 26, 2009