Who in their right mind would vote for Osama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by afuturetrader, May 7, 2008.

1. #21     May 8, 2008
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

You may want to review your history.

"On December 13, 1974, North Vietnam violated the Paris peace treaty by attacking into the South. When North Vietnam violated the 1973 cease-fire agreement and invaded the South again in 1975, Ford desperately asked Congress for funds to assist and re-supply the South before it was overrun. Congress refused...Much of the North's material and financial support came from the communist bloc. Within South Vietnam, there was increasing chaos...On March 10, 1975, General Dung launched Campaign 275, a limited offensive into the Central Highlands, supported by tanks and heavy artillery...Thieu ordered a retreat. The president declared this to be a "lighten the top and keep the bottom" strategy. But in what appeared to be a repeat of Operation Lam Son 719, the withdrawal soon turned into a BLOODY rout...As the ARVN tried to disengage from the enemy, refugees mixed in with the line of retreat. The poor condition of roads and bridges, damaged by years of conflict and neglect, slowed Phu's column. As the North Vietnamese forces approached, panic set in. Often abandoned by their officers, the soldiers, and civilians, were shelled incessantly. The retreat degenerated into a desperate scramble for the coast. By April 1 the "column of tears" was all but annihilated..., the VPA opened the siege of Hue. Civilians flooded the airport and the docks hoping for any mode of escape. Some even swam out to sea to reach boats and barges anchored offshore. In the confusion, routed ARVN soldiers fired on civilians to make way for their retreat. On March 31, after a three-day battle, Hue fell..., three North Vietnamese divisions attacked Xuan Loc, 40 miles (64 km) east of Saigon. The North Vietnamese met fierce resistance at Xuan Loc from the ARVN 18th Division. For two bloody weeks, severe fighting raged as the ARVN defenders made a last stand to try to block the North Vietnamese advance. By April 21, however, the exhausted garrison surrendered...By the end of April, the Army of the Republic of South Vietnam had collapsed on all fronts. Thousand of refugees streamed southward, ahead of the main communist onslaught. On April 27, 100,000 North Vietnamese troops encircled Saigon. The city was defended by about 30,000 ARVN troops. To hasten a collapse and foment panic, the VPA shelled the airport and forced its closure...Chaos, unrest, and panic broke out as hysterical South Vietnamese officials and civilians scrambled to leave Saigon. Martial law was declared..., VPA troops overcame all resistance, quickly capturing key buildings and installations. A tank crashed through the gates of the Presidential Palace, and at 11:30 a.m. local time the NLF flag was raised above it."

#22     May 8, 2008
  3. What's to review...you post nothing that occurred after April 30, 1975 when we left.

#23     May 8, 2008
  4. McCain and WWIII?

You people that think this are completely delusional.

First of all, he is not nearly the hawk that the press makes him out to be. He voted against his own party about staying in Lebanon (before the bombing of the marine barracks), and he voted against troops in Somalia. He takes it on a case by case basis.

It is true that he speaks tough, but that doesn't mean shit. Look at actions.

Also, the American populace would not support ANY war for quite some time unless the US was attacked, so there is not going to be war in Iran. The Prez may not need congressional approval, but after this last fiasco, he will have to have support of the populace.

And no way in hell is there going to be a draft. No one would even show up. I don't know where you guys get this shit. I'm pretty sure its spread among the net by college age kids paranoid of actually getting drafted.

I don't like Mac, but WWIII and the draft will NOT happen.

#24     May 8, 2008
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

The Paris Peace Accords on "Ending the War and Restoring Peace in Vietnam" were signed on January 27, 1973, officially ENDING DIRECT U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War.

I believe the 1975 departure you seem to be referring to wasn't much more than abandoning the embassy.

#25     May 8, 2008
  6. As I plainly said in my post after we left there was virtually no more war.

#26     May 8, 2008
  7. This is utterly idiotic!

A) Its already been shown that raising cap gains won't generate more income. No, not because of the Laffer Curve, that's with income tax. It doesn't raise more revenues cause people tend to hold on to their stocks instead of selling them.

B) Cap gains in most competing markets are now very low (vs the 80"s). Raise cap gains here, and guess where billions of dollars in investment capital are going to go?

This one is a no brainer, but Barak loves it cause it looks like he is sticking it to the rich. Barak's attempt to redistribute wealth would be a bloody nightmare for the economy.

#27     May 8, 2008
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Correct, after we abandoned the embassy
    because the communists were over running the city there was little fighting.

The US military had for the most part been gone roughly two years, there was plenty of fighting from then until 1975.

Your original statement seemed to imply that us leaving Iraq would have little or no effect. If we only leave the embassy your probably right. Once the military leaves however there is likely to be plenty of wholesale killing.

#28     May 8, 2008
  9. Do you actually care if the Sunni and Shia's continue to kill each other into oblivion as they have for the last 1300 years?

I can say with much honesty that I do not.

#29     May 8, 2008
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Me personally, no!

#30     May 8, 2008