Who here trades index futures for a living?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Daal, May 15, 2013.

1. Hi Daal..my transition is probably much like most traders..equities..options...futures. Lately I've gotten so fed up with the slippage and commission in options I'm going to focus on ES cash/options exclusively, basically running a "book" on short to mid term ES options using the cash to balance the delta's. Over the past year and a half this has been the most consistently successful choice for me. It is not our primary source for income but provides a tidy supplement.

#21     Jun 9, 2013
  2. Remember though, trading is financial speculation, not investing. Don't speculate/risk/gamble what you can't afford to lose. Remember that when you're "betting big"... Good luck! :)

#22     Jun 15, 2013
  3. Elektrode

Elektrode

Hey guys! im new in trading futures and i use to use a prop firm. I trade stocks however i found that futures is much more easier to trade and faster.

Here is a question for any of the experienced future traders: Does anyone use prop firms or brokers?

What is the best and what is recommended? I am looking for leverage.

In advance thank you for the wealth of knowledge you might drop in my bucket.

#23     Jun 28, 2013
  4. As far as I know there are no prop firms that trade futures. Look in the broker section of this site and see some reviews. One particular broker ..deepdiscounttrading.com offers very good commissions and service. I use to be with AMP and still recommend them if you're only trading futures. If you want to trade mainly futures but still have the option to trade something else(stocks, options, bonds, etc) then IB Interactive Brokers is highly recommended(they are my broker and my client's broker). Note: IB requires at least $10k to open an account with them.

#24     Jun 28, 2013
  5. Elektrode

Elektrode

Thanks. Yea, I was planning to start an account at that limit anyway. I'm coming from a Prop Shop mentality. And changing a stock day trading mindset to Futures day trading. In regards to trading futures it's a piece of cake. However it's the finding a broker that I'm not used to.

I'm guessing there are fees involved for margins, platforms and misc?

#25     Jun 28, 2013
  6. blanca

blanca

I trade almost 90% of my portfolio in mini dow, never overnight only intraday, any index is suitable for me, switched to futures from forex because it is a regulated market and the volume is higher.

#26     Jul 29, 2013
  7. blanca

blanca

It depends, for small ammount I use a broker from the CME Globex, but in a higher ammount an exchange like lmax, EBS, but always look for the highest regulation, professional charts, etc

#27     Jul 29, 2013
  8. horton

horton

Time of day constraints?
    Average Ticks per Winner and Avg Ticks per Loser?
    Technical, Tape Reading, or Statistical Edge?

#28     Aug 1, 2013
  9. toucan

toucan

HORTON...

I trade futures for: indexes, currencies, crude, natural gas, gold and copper.

Average wins/losses 50-60%.... non trending day 40-50% and trending day 60-70%

Average profit/loss is about 2.6 to 1.0 but this is hard to calculate due to multiple contracts per trade and separate exit points per trade.

All technical from chart using time and price action

Partially automated on entry side, and fully automated trade management.

cheers

toucan

#29     Aug 1, 2013
  10. toucan

toucan

HORTON...

I trade futures for: indexes, currencies, crude, natural gas, gold and copper.

Average wins/losses 50-60%.... non trending day 40-50% and trending day 60-70%

Average profit/loss is about 2.6 to 1.0 but this is hard to calculate due to multiple contracts per trade and separate exit points per trade.

All technical from chart using time and price action

Partially automated on entry side, and fully automated trade management.

cheers

toucan

#30     Aug 1, 2013