Who here trades index futures for a living?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Daal, May 15, 2013.

1. Chasinfla,

I accept the award! First I'd like to thank the academy... sorry

It is ICE and has the greatest daily range of any Index Future.

Sometimes moves too fast to trade for 30 minutes or so at least for my 66 years old eyes. Hit me with an email and I'll send you a marked up chart. It's not for everyone but suits me to a "T"
    Dennis

#11     May 19, 2013
  2. I day trade it whatever whatever the chart shows. never and I mean never..overnight.

It used to be Nymex now ice

#12     May 19, 2013
  3. Not yet, but one day... After years of trading (this is my sixth year as a part-time trader) I have discovered stock market indices are the only instrument I can trade profitably... Forex is the hardest and least profitable for me.

#13     May 26, 2013
  4. vinc

vinc

that would exclude live calls probably, ain't that right Dennis??
    a master of annotated charts under way, watch out :)

#14     May 28, 2013
  5. Do you guys also trade equities, a mixture or futures only ?

#15     Jun 5, 2013
  6. plando8

plando8

Have you looked at other indices or just stick with ICE offers?

#16     Jun 5, 2013
  7. Futures only

#17     Jun 5, 2013
  8. I trade R2k intraday when opportunity presents itself. As Dennis outlined, best daily range of eminis, best "bang for buck" .

I don't trade TF exclusively, I'll trade any FX or future with good vol and liquidity that presents an opportunity for me.

It's all I do during the day... no SS , or welfare check coming in for me :)

To "trade for a living", you need to have a big nut saved up or have other sources of income just like you would if you started any other business.

IMO you should trade to get rich, not trade for a living just to get by.

Thing is, once traders get rich, they buy other business/real estate and get income from other sources as well so they do multiple things "for a living"

#18     Jun 5, 2013

9. I like that 'trade to get rich' ,I am going to start betting big and bold

#19     Jun 8, 2013
  10. lwlee

lwlee

A post I did back in 2006. It was called the ER2 back then but still applies today.

The indices, more or less, have the same directional momentum. So if you knew there was going to be a big up move, generally you want to put your money on the TF since it will have better ROI.

Bang for buck

As for trading to get rich, I really think that's the only way. Either you do very well or you fail. If you have an edge and you are only making moderate gains, then you really either deliberately wasting your opportunity or don't know what you are doing.

#20     Jun 9, 2013