Who has started out with nothing, learned how to trade on their own, and now makes $?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BulkCity, Nov 19, 2008.

1. I don't understand why this is so many people goal..you ae basically swappnig one job for another.

I mean if you trade your own $100,000 and make $100,000 Great.. but isn't it smarter to trade $25 million and make $10 million... $2.5M after commissions?

It seems a lot on here are angry if someone leverages their bizz and trades O.P.M. Why? It's called thinking big.

If you want to stay small, keep working, fine go ahead. But don't call people like Buffet, Soros, Jones, etc who makes tens of millions,hundreds of millions $ in good years.

#41     Nov 29, 2008
  2. Joab

Joab

What he ^ said only I had 20 years experience in the "Industry" before I actually started day trading full time.

#42     Nov 29, 2008
  3. ======================
    Price action is 50% of TA[technical analysis];
    which is the study of price & volume.

Price action means the same thing as price;
    a good exercise,[better than a definition] take something liquid like GE,SPY,
    write the price every hour, or if you are hard working ,
    write price[ college notebook] every 50 or 60 secinds.

Or write price every 7+/ seconds, do that for 10,ooo hours;
    trade reasonable size .Read /study Jack Schwager top trading books.

If one has never ran a business;
    trading business is tough, but doable.Prepay electric bill, phone bill..................................................................................

Or , like most new traders,you can trade big/greedy as you can, ;
    like LEH,BEAR STEARNS, C .................................................LOL.The latter ''advice'' unquote, is especially helpful if you like (90% or 100 percent drawdowns, or FED finding/forcing a buyer for your Co.,LOL:D

Probaly the most amazing thing in all trading;
    the %%% of new, [unwise in position size] traders like Jim Rogers-
    doubled his money in buying put[options] then, put it all in market, wiped it all out in 2 years.Amazing new trader pattern:cool:
    Jim admitted that was unwise;
    Jim Rogers started with $600,USD.....................................

#43     Nov 29, 2008
  4. ronblack

ronblack

Price action, TA, pure guessing, astrology, whatever that is you use doesn't matter, math tells you exactly what you have to do in order to be a succesful trader and that is, over a given evaluation period, your expected return, expected gain, expectacy, or whatever name you assign to this parameter must be positive.

However, if you want to become very wealthy from trading you must be ready to take huge risks in an optimal fashion and again math tells you exactly what to do, it's called the Kelly formula.

Read this paper over and over again until you understand what's in there:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Kelly.pdf

Trading is math and if you do not understand math, there is no way to profit. Yes, people like Jim Rogers talk about trading in simple terms for general audiences but behind their success hides a deep understanding of the mathematics involved, although they will never tell you that.
    This is because knowing that commodities, for example, will rise in the next year is NOT enough to make money. You can be right about direction and STILL lose money big time. You need a timing model and only math can provide that precision.

#44     Nov 29, 2008
  5. Excellent hyperbole. Try telling that to the 75+ hedge funds that shut down this year (including the Nobel laureates from LTCM).

#45     Nov 29, 2008

6. I would have never believed this unless I lived it.

#46     Nov 29, 2008
  7. Well, their models were more or less correct. Didn't they suffer from the hedge fund's equivalent of a bank run, with forced liquidations? I guess their calculations were botched with respect to leverage.

#47     Nov 29, 2008
  8. #48     Nov 30, 2008
  9. Dustin

Dustin

Huh? The name of the thread was "my story" and I did participate a few pages in.

#49     Nov 30, 2008
  10. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gy6cqFIljQo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gy6cqFIljQo&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#50     Nov 30, 2008