who else exercises at the desk?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Crispy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Crispy

Crispy

Three weeks ago I downloaded this egg timer for my desktop to remind me to get up and exercise once an hour starting at 10:30 and every hour till 2:30. I began doing 10 push ups, and 10 crunches. With the plan of upping my reps by 5 each week. Now I am up to 20 and 20 and it feels great. My goal is 50 reps of each 5 times a day.

Couple questions for any personal trainer types -

I need something for the legs. I cannot squat cause my knees are popping from 25 years of abuse. I ride my bike about 10 miles at a clip as it doesnt hurt the old knees. But im pretty busy outside of the office so that only happens about once a week. So any leg exercises suggestions would be appreciated.

Also at what, if any point is doing too many reps of pushups/crunches "too many"?

2. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I had both my knees scoped about 10 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. I exercise near my desk, within sight of my monitors every day. There really are not too many options if you cannot squat, but there are some things that can help you strengthen your legs.

Standing flat footed, you can roll from your heel , across the ball of your foot, then extend upward on your tippy toes, and hold for a second or two. Keep the knees slightly bent. This will work the calf. I do this with dumbells in each hand to add resistance, but you can start without.

From a sitting position, you can simply extend your legs out in front of you until your feet are on plane with your hips, then lock and hold for a second or two. This will obviously work the quads. Of course, adding additional weight will increase the burn, but you can work up to that. I like a sandbag because it will stay put between your ankles without much balancing needed. A big bag of rice works well too.

3. Not that I'm a personal trainer, but here is what I do: I put a treadmill under my desk, raised the desk by 18 inches and walk at a slow pace of 1.5 m/hour all day long.

Low impact and excellent cardio.

4. Hooti

Hooti

I sit on a big exercise ball... ballancing so I don't fall over all the time.... gentle way of working the core muscles. It's just fun, and while I have a great trading chair, this ball is easier on the backside over the hours. Probably because I keep slightly moving, which helps the blood flow to the brain, I think. I have the ball up on a slight platform so it's the right hieght.
    A 'total gym' rounds out my exercise as I trade. The walking idea sounds great too.
    *laughing* you can kind of bounce about on it slightly as you work, but that's not likely the level of leg exercise you are looking for.

5. Brass

Brass

What about just working out properly, and with sufficient intensity to make it worthwhile, before hours, after hours or during lunch? I would think that, for the most part, you get out what you put in.

6. Crispy

Crispy

Nice ideas. Thank you

7. Crispy

Crispy

I have the big yellow ball also for core. Usually interchange the chair and ball ever hour as well. Its awesome.

8. Crispy

Crispy

Treadmill desk....thats something I could get into.

9. Crispy

Crispy

I have three kids 5 and under. Early hours they dominate my time until I leave for work @ 7:30. I dont take lunch ever. And when I get home @ 5:00 I take the kids off my wifes hands and its all about the them again until 8pm. At that point I am pretty much spent. And need to read or watch a couple shows to get my mind off the markets.

Believe me I would like nothing more than to be able to steal away for an hour or so to do it properly. But at this point its just not possible. Well anything is possible, but I need to factor in a little down time in my day or I will become uber grumpy. :)

10. Brass

Brass

I think leg extensions may be harder on your knees than squat-type movements:

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/leg-extensions-vs-squats/

If you can't do weighted squats, you might try at least partial knee bends, perhaps only to a 90-degree angle if you can, even holding onto something for support if necessary. The key is to keep your heels on the ground and not to extend your knees beyond your toes. That means your butt will stick out and your straight torso will lean forward at the bottom of the movement. You'll work your upper legs better than with extensions and I think your knees will be at lower risk.

#10     Aug 29, 2012