Who does everyone use for macro research?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by HussainAl, Oct 6, 2019.

1. bd10

bd10

Fundamentals play a big role for me. In my style of trading I need to have an opinion of a general direction first. Then come the technicals: is the market already moving into that direction? Is it moving away? If prices start to come my way, I start putting positions on.
    As for fundamental research, I do that myself. That's the fun part for me, tremendously enjoy that. The execution side is the mechanical part.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    #11     Oct 6, 2019
  2. HussainAl

HussainAl

Exactly my style! Except I have to say I enjoy the execution side as well - as much of a self-fulfilling prophecy it can be and despite claims traditional TA is near-useless, I use it to determine my entries & exit, and further consolidate my thoughts. Gives me a good feel of the market.

Through what intermediaries do you do your research? I also do my own research but I enjoy reading other pieces, but only if its coming from a credible and experienced source. There's value in reading other people's opinions... (imo), especially if it's their speciality..

#12     Oct 6, 2019
  3. bd10

bd10

Don't get me wrong, of course I enjoy it when the market comes my way. But I always count in points up or down to eliminate thoughts of USD P&L to keep emotions out as much as possible.

As for sources: a mixed bag really. quality newspaper (eg FT) for macro and political coverage. Reuters for macro data releases but also to track correlated markets, central bank minutes/quarterly reports, CFTC/COT/CIT.
    Technical analysis: using raw data from Reuters to backtest and a few charts. That's pretty much it.

I should add, I am primarily a spreader so the dynamics are quite different from trading flat price.

#13     Oct 6, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

If Trump tweets that he is adding more tariffs, short equities and WTI crude, and long gold.

If Trump tweets that he is removing tariffs, long equities and WTI crude, and short gold.

Trade a bit of size on that, and retire.

How is that for "macro research"?

#14     Oct 6, 2019
    gaussian likes this.
  5. gaussian

gaussian

Trump's twitter.

#15     Oct 6, 2019
  6. varaamo

varaamo

7. Peter8519

Peter8519

But wait ! Look at the data distribution by plotting the histogram. Compare Oil & Gas and Utilities. Do they similar ?;)

#17     Oct 6, 2019
  8. Fonz

Fonz

Since the past few months, yes.
    For medium to long term investments, I created a cycle analysis specially based on Larry Williams, Nicolai Kondratieff and Edward Dewey works.
    I use macro (from the macro trader) for specifics during a cycle.

#18     Oct 7, 2019
  9. faet

faet

If you are looking for more in-depth content, a very experience trader shared this on another website

#19     Oct 10, 2019
  10. orbit23

orbit23

I look at higher time frame charts for DXY,oil, gold, forex currencies, major indices and so on.I believe this is the most accurate as it gets and it paints a pretty clear picture.

There's a million variables that impact the markets and you will never know it all. When you look at the price, it's all merged into one.

#20     Oct 11, 2019