Who do you know in the Army.......

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gcapman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Gcapman

Gcapman

who joined for the sake of just "having" a job?

Are they educated? or the typical wild-child who wants to just go overseas and create hell.............?

I would imagine that there were a considerable amount of well-educated, articulate people who had good jobs but were forced to get a job in the military.......

2. There so many different levels of the Army. As to not even being close to one another.

3. Gcapman

Gcapman

Very true.........

I guess I was referring to combat soldiers....

But it would be interesting to see what other MOS fields people have enlisted in.....

4. Combat soldiers"
    Leg units
    Paratropers
    10th mountian
    Rangers
    Delta.

Pick one.

5. I know a few people who, right after college (2009), joined the military just for a job......not the army though, the "chair force"

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

My son joined the army right out of HS. Participated in the Iraq invasion and left after 4 years. He recently got a commission as a 2nd LT and went into the Army Reserve. He had a "job", I think he just likes the military.

I have a brother-in-law currently doing his second tour in Iraq. He's been in for several years. Lack of a job/direction in life may have played a roll.

I also have a nephew who finished his basic early last fall. He's at a base in Texas. I'm not that close with him, but I think my son's influence and him wanting to get out and see the world were motivating factors.

7. Gcapman

Gcapman

I guess I should have been more specific....

I was curious to see if there were any "professional adults" who joined the military after experiencing trouble finding work....

8. nkhoi

nkhoi

you can't join if you are old

Congress change the maximum age to 42 in 2006. However, different branches have different requirements. These are the maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Active Army - 42
    Army Reserves (Including National Guard) - 42
    Active Air Force - 27
    Air Force Reserve (including National Guard) - 34
    Active Navy - 34
    Naval Reserves - 39
    Active Marines - 28
    Marine Corps Reserve - 29
    Active Duty Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
    Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39.

9. fhl

fhl

I could see joining back when the mission was to clean house in iraq.

When it turned into nation building, i don't know why anyone would want to be there.

And under the present com in chief, i certainly don't know why anyone would want to join. New rules of engage that please people like josh marshall and andrew sullivan will
    a. maybe get you killed
    b. make you the scapegoat when things go wrong, because as we all know, obama never does anything wrong.

10. Wallet

Wallet

Yes. I know an individual in the "Chair force" I think another poster put it. He might want to reevaluate his thoughts on today's Airforce. The guy I know was attached to the 820th security forces group and is now going through Ranger/Jump and then to sniper/counter-sniper training. Airforce pays better and better standard of living but much harder to qualify.

To the question, I went down to San Antoino see him on his graduation, got to meet most of his flight, there were several changing careers, one guy I met had closed down a home remolding/construction business in Colo.

fwiw,

#10     Mar 16, 2010