Who do you guys talk to?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by michael21, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

It's OK...I'm going to hell anyway.

#21     Aug 22, 2011
  2. zdreg

zdreg

what makes you think that you are not already in a living hell, a self created one?

#22     Aug 22, 2011
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

To some traders that don't have the "lone soldier" personality...the ability or need to talk to other traders is a big issue.

The fix being used by those not the lone soldier types is to share office space with other traders but that's tough to do because you need to get to know traders to determine if you'll get along with them prior to renting an office space.

Another solution is to get your own office space and hire a secretary that takes care of all the mundane stuff you would normally do.

Yet, the cheapest and easiest solution is to join an active free chat room where traders are talking the markets or anything that's trading related. However, I would stay away from the free chat rooms where folks log in and don't participate.

Regardless, most traders know if they are the "lone soldier" types prior to getting involved in trading. Yet, some forget they are the social types or develop into the social types that need in person interaction with other traders which is something they can't get from a typical trader discussion forum.

I've done all the above...worked well when I did it but now I'm back home in my home office along with using free chat rooms. Yet, in a few years, I'll go back to the shared office space with other traders. Hopefully I'll be able to find something or setup something like I had before that worked very well. As for the secretary I had for a few years...she used the experience to land a great job as a secretary at an institutional firm.

Mark

#23     Aug 22, 2011
  4. Great answer wrbtrader.

Talking with other traders is tough since I don't need disciples. The really good traders don't need me. The game is competitive and thus doesn't lead easily to detailed discussion.

I once started out to find a few good traders and ended up finding that I was it for the most part. So I stopped actively searching and eventually several appeared. I guess other traders had the same need and we found each other.

Now I take days off, post on chats or forums, telephone a few in town, have lunches or coffee meetings - in short I do other activities. My dog has the right attitude when I talk about trading. She just looks at me with a bored look and thinks blah blah blah just throw the darn ball!

#24     Aug 22, 2011
  5. mxjones

mxjones

Howard, Robin, Fred, Benjy

#25     Aug 22, 2011
  6. zdreg

zdreg

sound like your dog is smarter than the dog in the movie the heartbreak kid(originalversion-cybil shephard). posters,watch that movie if u want to see what it is like when u have nobody to talk with.

#26     Aug 22, 2011
  7. I talk to Pixie.
    :p

#27     Aug 22, 2011
  8. Handle123

Handle123

I chat with handful of same experience or better than myself during the day. Too depressing to chat with those who have huge ego's as they normally will eventually wipe out cause they know everything. Mentor a couple guys and eat vitamins and exercise.

#28     Aug 22, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.
  9. handle where do you find those guys?

#29     Aug 22, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Why do you keep responding to me after complaining to Baron that I was stalking you?

Other than the obvious that you're one of those dick heads that can dish it out but can't take it.

#30     Aug 22, 2011