Who can you trust? Newt? Mitt? Or, he who shall not be named...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Buyers are liars, as they say; however, we aren't really talking about a romantic relationship per se. I don't give a good God damn if people want to delude themselves in their romantic relationships...that has no bearing on my life.

We are talking about leaders who have tremendous influence over our lives (and the lives of our children). If anything, the bar for integrity should be set to the highest possible level. They have the ability to make life and death decisions for our families. How can we blithely allow dishonest people to lead us when the stakes are so amazingly high?

Sure, people lie all the time; but our leaders swear an oath not to do so; then, most of them simply pretend that it's ok to break that oath whenever it suits them. That is why when it comes to politics, our leaders must be trustworthy. If they are not trustworthy, they are a liability at best and an enemy all too often.

#11     Nov 30, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I like the speech but you do know that the Kennedy family is one of the most corrupt politcal families in our nations history. All of them! And Jack led young men to slaughter in the failed bay of pigs invasion as well as the fiasco that was Vietnam. He more then likely had Marlyn Monroe killed and God knows what else. Yet you cite him as your "favorite" President. I would just think if you are going to tell us you don't support leaders who don't lie then I find your support of one of the most corrupt political families in our history to be quite perplexing. But look, I liked Jack. All in all I'm not going to deride him much. But I liked him knowing how corrupt he, his father, his brother and Teddy were.

I'm just saying, every man grows up at some point and learns all his heroes are liars and cheats. It is what it is.

#12     Nov 30, 2011
  3. These are some interesting theories you have Maverick. He had Marilyn Monroe killed? Can you cite some proof on that one...I have to admit it is a new one on me. What I do know about Kennedy is he started out on the wrong foot (Bay of Pigs) but he was able to pull us back from the brink of destruction (Cuban Missile Crisis). If not for his cool head, we might not be here to have this discussion. That act alone should earn him a special place in your heart because there was tremendous pressure from our side to start firing nukes at Russia...how do you suppose that would have worked out?

Also, he had the balls to stand up to the the not so federal reserve, by issuing a competing silver backed currency. Of course, after he was killed all the certificates were removed from circulation but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Finally, glad you like the speech...but do you agree or disagree that our political leaders should be above reproach, given the enormous power they have over our lives and the lives of our children? Or, conversely, do you think it's ok for say, the President of the United States to lie to those he is supposed to be serving?

#13     Nov 30, 2011
  4. Max E.

Max E.

The problem is that politicians who are honest 100% of the time are almost unelectable. Look at Ron Paul, the guy could have probably gotten himself elected fairly easily if he had just played the game of politics a little bit to get himself into office, instead of saying exactly what is on his mind 100% of the time.

Would it necessarily make Ron Paul a bad person if he distorted his views a little bit, and made them a little more PC to get elected then once he got in office he did exactly what he thinks is right? Hell i would almost prefer it if Ron Paul would lie a little bit because it would give him a chance to get into office where he can create some real lasting change.

I can only really think of 3 honest politicians off the top of my head, Ed Rendell, Chris Christie, and Ron Paul, all three of them seem incredibly genuine, but again it would be tough for them to be elected, cause if you dont tow the line to some extent there is very little chance of being elected.

Christie had the chance to be the first straight foreword politician to be elected in years, that was why i was so disappointed when he did not run.

The bottom line is all politicians lie to some extent, but there is a big difference between some disingenuous bitch like Nancy Pelosi lying to save her own ass, and someone like Ron Paul doing what he needs to do in order to be elected.

#14     Nov 30, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sure, I agree our leaders should be honest and above reproach and I'm glad you have such a selective memory concerning Kennedy because it's pretty much accepted even among his most loyal admirers that he was corrupt as hell. Yes, he did a lot of good things. But you are contradicting yourself. He and his family are about as dishonest as you can get.

As for the Monroe theory, dude, it ain't new. There are books that have been written about it.

Like most people, you seem to ignore the bad and embrace the good things about people. I'm just sayin...

#15     Nov 30, 2011
  6. Max E.

Max E.

You can usually spot these guys by the amount of times they claim to have caught the dead high, or dead low print on a stock on the day, if i meet someone online, i usually just put them on ignore once that starts happening to often 5-6 times a day. :D

#16     Nov 30, 2011
  7. I'm not disagreeing he started out establishment. However, there was a point when he began to push back. Maybe it was when he told the Joint Chiefs of Staff to go f*ck themselves when they proposed Operation Northwoods, which you probably are aware, was a plan for false flag operations, to include flying civilian aircraft into American buildings (9/11 anyone?), in order to start a war with Cuba. Yes, our government, at it's highest levels, was actually planning on killing American civilians and blaming it on Cuba in order to further a political agenda. That is but one of the dangers of having liars in charge btw.

The fact that his leadership saved the planet from itself, not to mention stopped this false flag operation in its tracks, earns him a mulligan in my book.

As for this new to me Marilyn Monroe wrinkle, please provide proof he ordered her killed. Simply saying people think it is not proof.

#17     Nov 30, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sure. However you want to justify it is fine with me. I'm not hear to change your mind. Let me just finish with saying that just about everything that is wrong today with politics is because of that family. They represented the height of privilege, secrecy, back door deals and God knows how many murders and rapes between the whole family. See, this is the problem with idolizing people, whether it be Ron Paul, Jack Kennedy or Obama for that matter. It's hard to be objective.

#18     Nov 30, 2011
  9. Hehe, too funny. I don't idolize Kennedy. Perhaps I should qualify what I mean by "my favorite president". By that, I mean he did the most good with the office, given the circumstances he had to deal with (height of the cold war and a mil. ind. complex just aching to start shooting).

Now, Ron Paul has proven over decades his word is trustworthy...which is, of course, what inspired this thread. He is the only candidate that has proven over time you can trust him at his word. BTW, I don't idolize him either; but, I do respect him as a leader with clarity of vision, accuracy of prediction, and most importantly, integrity and a plan to get us back on track.

#19     Nov 30, 2011
  10. Valid for the most part :)

#20     Nov 30, 2011