Who believes there isn't a Gold bubble right now?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by LodeRunner, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Biden came to China to appologize for the dollar and it 'coincides' with gorilla bands recalling 11bl of gold.If you mean the recent move.

:D :D

#11     Aug 19, 2011
  2. dave74

dave74

I have a feeling gold is gonna take a breather at 2000, then resume its relentless rise.

It's becoming the defacto world currency.

#12     Aug 19, 2011
  3. TGregg

TGregg

Loderunner rocked. But I was a fan of earlier games, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Zaxxon (3D man!), Tempest (My all time fav).

I think a fair number of investors are less interested in appreciation as they are in preservation. Few trust the Super Fed. I would not call it a bubble in the true sense of the word, we do not climb because we expect to climb.

#13     Aug 19, 2011
  4. dtan1e

dtan1e

whether gold look good or ugly as a jewellry really depends on who is wearing it

#14     Aug 19, 2011
  5. the 'space' button on the keyboard was an issue though.

:D

gold is like loderunner,as it runs restlessly it leaves holes behind.

#15     Aug 19, 2011
  6. OP is a troll. His only satisfaction comes from trying to get a rise out of people.

#16     Aug 19, 2011
  7. isn`t it obvious what happens with gold lately or are you all that dumb to get the thing?

you are sitting right across the world`s major exchanges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17     Aug 19, 2011
  8. Illum

Illum

I think they will break new highs. Idiots ran into bonds. Wrong answer. They are wrong is my answer to your question. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see your point, and I see them making a huge mistake. To be exploited soon enough. The market is not showing what should happen. It may be a function of the old rules still apply during liquidation. Does anyone take copper as payment? Your point is a good one. Look at wheat today though 3% If they aren't selling, what are buying? But being forced to sell and hand over paper afterwords... it won't show yet. Just my opinion.

#18     Aug 20, 2011
  9. I believe there isn't a bubble in gold.

In the first post, the OP ignores monetary history. There are reasons that gold was used as money throughout history.

It's the history and relationship of the dollar and other currencies abandoning the gold standard that differentiates it from other more industrial commodity metals. Historically gold is not just a commodity but also serves as money. Shit, does that really need explanation? lol

So gold more or less stays the same as all the diluted paper shit money falls by its waysides. That is not a bubble, that is real money vs. shit money.

Recently the only "bubble" in gold is when it gets overbought in the short term and makes a pullback, bubble over.

Are there really any bubbles left right now that haven't already deflated significantly? Oh...the fiat monetary system, now that's a bubble.

#19     Aug 20, 2011
  10. Not since '82. But as long as people accept fiat currency, is that relevant? You keep your money fully invested in copper or some other commodity X, and when you want to buy something you cash out into dollars or euros or whatever.

Back in the days before the internet, bullion coins (in only 2 or three designated 'precious' metals) made sense. Now, they only make sense if you expect internet commerce, along with the rest of western civilization, to disappear.

Assuming that actually happens, I think the value of gold must eventually drop very sharply in favor of useful stuff: steel, aluminum, copper, explosives, food, etc.

Assuming it doesn't happen, then all commodities are equally effective inflation hedges... and the gold bubble (as compared to other commodities, not necessarily as compared to fiat currencies) must burst.

Electronic liquidity means gold isn't special any more. The question is, how long will it take the markets to figure this out...

EDIT: Regarding the 'history of gold' stuff.... isn't that just a horribly misleading, extremely lagging indicator? "X was valuable in the past, therefore it will be valuable again" is the first stage of every investor's worst nightmare since the beginning of time. (Or the beginning of modern capitalism, whichever came first.) I see no reason to think that gold's special place was the result of anything but centuries of severe illiquidity, only properly alleviated in the past two decades.

#20     Aug 20, 2011