Who at ET trades for a living?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Red_Ink_inc, Dec 13, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

Thankfully I don't trade for a living, because I still cannot consistently make money on my trades. I make a nice living so until I can be confident that trading can replace that, I'll likely continue trading part time.

I've managed to break even for the past 2.5 years, so it could be worst.

I work days, so even though I do have some freedom to watch the markets, I primarily feel like my only option is to swing trade, so I don't have to spend much time glued to my monitor.

I also recently started toying with micro accounts in Forex at night to learn price action and work on strategies.

My plan is to continue to learn to trade until I feel confident enough to make a living from it. If that never materializes, I would be ok, with learning to at least earn 20-30% per year, to build up a large retirement account.

I must say that I would love to become a full-time trader at some point in the future.

#41     Dec 15, 2008
  2. <i>"...did u feel the squeeze comin this avo ? 3 years screen time qualified me"</i>

Indeed. Took some losses on the long side early until it finally popped, but was pretty sure it would happen. Short side paid the bills. Screen time helps :D

#42     Dec 15, 2008
  3. Not sure if I trade for a living or not... I manage OPM full time and that provides good income. I have a lot of passive investments as well.

A good portion of my income is from day to day market participation, but, it goes toward my net worth, not towards my living expenses.

Mike

#43     Dec 15, 2008
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Hermit, we both trade for a living. One day you make money and I lose it. The next day we trade: I make money and you lose it :D :D

#44     Dec 15, 2008
  5. Kap

Kap

:)
    I started batting early too with small lots leaving large stop buy orders above for the pop... then she blew !

#45     Dec 18, 2008
  6. joesan

joesan

Have been trading Asian markets full time since five years ago from Shanghai, 85% months profitable. Multimarket multi-strategies supported by an ATS developed by myself. From this August also managing OPM, so far so good, five consecutive winning months.

#46     Dec 18, 2008
  7. gaj

gaj

9+ years fulltime equities.

do *not* take on clients, though i've been asked a fair number of times by family, friends, people i run into, etc. well, first, i'm not trading big enough that having clients is worth it. but other reasons why i don't:

-> don't want added mental pressure. if i lose, i lose *my* money.
    -> i prefer to keep all my gains.
    -> i'm a daytrader. size becomes harder to deal with a larger cash base.

i understand the other side - you have some kind of guaranteed funds, longer term trades can result in huge profits, larger cash base...but it's just not for me.

#47     Dec 18, 2008
  8. Bootsie

Bootsie

Have you seen this "idiots" P'n'L lately. I sure as shit haven't seen yours... how about it. You show me yours from today and I'll show you mine.

#48     Dec 31, 2008
  9. tigerwu

tigerwu

Good Traders make lousy business persons. That's why I rather trade for myself than opm. Good traders tend to change their views on a dime as they process new information. Business people tend to stick to their one great idea til the very end. Preseverence or "unwillingness to take a loss" is a virtue in the business world, not in the trading world.

I have been prop trading successfully for top IBs for the last 15y now, and was told by a superior recently that I should be mature enough to distinguish the correct action in either fields. Well, i am not a superman like he think he is. And he never made a dime trading!

Coincidentally, good traders make lousy spouses as well. My wife still gets very angry that I change my mind 50 times a day. And we still own no assets (house, expensive car, any membership over 1y), nothing that can not be liquidated in 10min....

#49     Dec 31, 2008
  10. Yes.

No to OPM. Have been asked but I can only imagine I'd do it to help out family as I have enough money of my own not to need someone elses. For me trading has created freedom and OPM would restrict that.

#50     Jan 1, 2009