who are the winning traders?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Technician, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Lethn

Lethn

I enjoy watching more experienced people bicker amongst themselves about things so that I can pick up on things to research myself and come to my own conclusions.

#21     Dec 19, 2009
  2. #22     Dec 21, 2009

3. According to a study in Europe people are said to lie up to 200 times - PER DAY - on average.
    And that's only Western Europe to the best of my knowledge.

#23     Apr 26, 2010
  4. dtan1e

dtan1e

this is really funny !

#24     Apr 26, 2010
  5. punter

punter

Before you go searching through ET for profitable traders, consider this.

this is the honest to god truth on how it works. yes, i am profitable/make a modest living, of only 2 1/2 years, without any down months.

1. you start with 10, and 2-3 don't fail. they are profitable within a year.

2. those 2-3, within 5 years, are no longer trading for whatever reason.

and this is the kicker.

3. even the ones that i've met that personally lasted 5 years, they had almost a year without making cash/a downturn that made them rethink their lives/trading period.

If I were to tell you anything else, about some guy thats still been trading after 8 years (he'd fit under category 3) or some guy whos been 'in the game' since 1980, ect/bs/blah blah, we'd be talking about different things/different types of traders/theres a good chance they aren't that active a trader to begin with.

bottom line is that active traders/scalpers (basically people who aren't trading on their IB account/managing some fund) follow this tendency. I'm not saying you'd be one of those, or that I would (although I'd be somewhat of a fool to randomly exclude myself from these 3 scenarios) be one of the many in due time.

The absolute crazy part in this is that I was told all of this before I even started, and I still went ahead and did it.

I don't seriously regret anything at this point lol..I'm not laying awake at night going, "what have I done". but looking back/even now, i sometimes wonder whether I had really thought it through. For those that just threw themselves into the business, thats one thing. But for someone like me that had been told all this beforehand, certainly raises some questions. Maybe thats what makes a trader profitable to some degree...some appetite for risk I suppose. But really...its kind of crazy that I, or anyone, that makes a modest living (isn't making 1 mill a year/99 percent of profitable traders) continues to trade for a living accepting the above 3 scenarios as fact....which if you haven't, you're completely dellusional or outside of 'the average profitable trader' statistic. because everytime I hear some joker go, "well i know some guy thats been in the business for 10 years and is still trading" they always fail to mention scenario 3, or have very little to say about it in general...or its always coming from someone who CURRENTLY isn't trading...the irony hearing this from said person is almost always too much for my little pea brain to bear.

#25     Apr 26, 2010
  6. I lie in bed at night thinking "what have I done" every day..

anyway my trading is improving.. I'm not making anything but I'm not really losing anything either.

but you can achieve as much by not trading at all.. so..

#26     Apr 26, 2010
  7. punter

punter

there are some discouraging elements to my post no doubt. but in no way am I trying to send you one way or another. I'm just giving you the truth.

nobody ever really tells you the truth when it comes to this. and even when you hear it, you a. don't give a fuck, b. don't want to think about it.

i know i was both a and b. but just saying, this is actually how it works, which you can never really know till you meet and see it play out in other peoples/traders lives...people you worked with, people you've met in trading. until you see the walking statistics in real life, it doesn't make sense; its actually not something pleasant to thinka bout. but after seeing endless amounts of proof, you'll pretty much come to the same conclusion as me, or just go back to thinking a and b.

#27     Apr 26, 2010
  8. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

That's a lie!

Joe.

#28     Apr 27, 2010

9. ok if you are from somewehere else than Florida let's say 250
    lol

How do YOU know??
    You want to buy the book - which European languages do you speak?

#29     Apr 27, 2010
  10. Blotto

Blotto

If you can't tell sense from bullshit you have no chance of success in this business.
    Consider learning who to listen to and who to ignore as part of your trading education.

Listening to stupid ideas is taking a bad trade. Stubbornly adhering to what is mainstream is averaging down a losing trade, etc.

When you can tell by the posts who knows and who does not know you are 95% of the way there.

#30     Apr 28, 2010