White Privilege

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dbphoenix, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Education is kind of like training for a "Strongman" competition....

Those guys spend dedicated YEARS working out to build their muscles to compete against others for the brass ring.

It's the same in education. Kids need to spend years of dedication... teaching their brain how to work well, think, and solve problems. THAT'S what society/business pays for in the real adult world.

And just as a 90-lb weakling can't compete against a muscle man, a kid who "never did nothin' in school" can't compete for a well-paying job and the lifestyle it brings. Simple as that!

#61     Aug 27, 2014
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

While attempting to disprove the idea of white privilege, O'Reilly accidentally demonstrates it perfectly

On Monday, Megyn Kelly gave Bill O’Reilly a lesson on white privilege. It was surprisingly on point. Everyone applauded. Tuesday evening, O’Reilly reinforced his extreme ignorance by arguing against white privilege and then accidentally proving it.

In his Talking Points Memo portion of The O’Reilly Factor, O’Reilly stated confidently that “Talking Points does not believe in white privilege, however there is no question that African Americans have a much harder time succeeding in our society than whites do.” Okay, so maybe Bill doesn’t want to use the phrase “white privilege” because it is such a loaded term with so much history and maybe he doesn’t want to associate his argument with all that. Also, he is a king of hyper-conservatism, so maybe he also wants to save face and not get caught using liberal mumbo-jumbo.

Nope. O’Reilly goes on to excuse white people from bearing the burden of black oppression, blaming it instead on black culture:

“The primary reason is not skin color; it’s education and not only book learning.” Why are Asian Americans so successful? Because their culture emphasizes education and keeping families intact, O’Reilly argues. “So, do we have Asian privilege in America?”​

O’Reilly finishes off his argument with blatant racism:

“American children must learn not only about right from wrong, but also how to speak properly and act respectfully in public. If African American children do not learn those things, they will likely fail as adults. They will be poor, they will be angry, and they often will be looking to blame someone else.”​

And then accidentally proves the central idea of white privilege:

“One caveat: the Asian American experience has historically not been nearly as tough as the African American experience. Slavery is unique and it has harmed black Americans to a degree that is still being felt today.”​

But says it’s not anyone else’s job to fix it:

“But in order to succeed in our competitive society, every American has to overcome the obstacles they have faced.”
    In her groundbreaking essay “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack,” feminist Peggy McIntosh lists 26 every day “privileges” that white people get to enjoy, but people of other races do not. These include being able to buy band aids in “flesh” color and knowing they will match your skin, and seeing people of authority on television and recognizing that they look like you. These are unconscious, systemic injustices that cannot be corrected by learning how to “speak properly and act respectfully.” (Even the notion of telling someone to speak “properly” is steeped in major privilege.) McIntosh writes that in order to redesign social systems, we need to acknowledge the invisible structure underlying them:

“It seems to me that obliviousness about white advantage, like obliviousness about male advantage, is kept strongly inculturated in the United States so as to maintain the myth of meritocracy, the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all. Keeping most people aware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power, and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.”
    Ultimately, when O’Reilly claims that he doesn’t “believe” in white privilege, he proves how deeply controlled by it he really is.

Joanna Rothkopf

#62     Aug 27, 2014
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

LOL!. Racist band-aids. I bought Spongebob bandaids for my 6 year old the other day. I should have complained they were racist.

One day liberals might figure out why no one takes them seriously.

Obama and Holder look nothing like me (thank God).

#63     Aug 27, 2014
  4. jem

jem

You can buy in any language but to do well in sales you have to speak your customers language and dress appropriately too.
    Its not privilege to tell someone to speak well, its business.

By the way I know that black people are discriminated against when seeking jobs in CA. Its because every business knows each hire comes with a very significant risk of 100 to 200 thou in legal fees if you have to fire them.

so some of the problem is historical, some is govt and some is cultural.
    Since blacks used to have strong communities and families guess which one I assign the most responsibility.

#64     Aug 27, 2014
  5. An unintended consequence of "giving them too much".... and all the "PC BS" which surrounds them.

:(

#65     Aug 27, 2014
  6. fhl

fhl

[​IMG]

#66     Aug 27, 2014
    PiggyBank likes this.
  7. This "white privilege" is very useful for liberals, I can see that. If anyone dares to point out that 99.9% of blacks' predicament is their own fault, you don't have to answer. Just scream "white privilege." After all, bandaids are "flesh" colored. The horror.

Expecting anything but the absolute worst behavior from blacks? White privilege.

Pointing out that education is the key to gettting ahead? White privilege talking.

Noting that showing up to interview for an office job in gang attire is not productive? Yep, white privilege.

Expecting black parents, ie men and women, to take responsibility for the children they produce? White privilege. After all, 200 years ago there were a few thousand slaves in this country.

Apparently the only way to avoid exhibitng white privilege is to always defer to minorities, overlook anything they do, no matter how outrageous and most of all, send more money.

#67     Aug 27, 2014
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Really?

Typical Liberal Logic

#68     Aug 27, 2014
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

As a grand jury hears evidence regarding Darren Wilson’s fatal shooting of teenager Michael Brown, another jury across the country has weighed in on a similar situation. On Tuesday, a Texas police officer responsible for fatally shooting a 17-year-old man was cleared by a grand jury in Harris County.

Investigators say that Rey Garza, an off-duty cop in Navasota, TX (just north of Houston) was working as a part-time security guard at his apartment complex when he spotted two teenagers in a car, who he thought were doing drugs.

Rawstory reports:

Garza said he identified himself as a police officer and asked the driver, 17-year-old Jonathen Santellana for identification and ordered him to step out of the vehicle.

The officer said the teen refused, so Garza opened the door of the 1996 Ford Taurus.

But a teenage girl who was with Santellana said Garza did not identify himself as a police officer as he approached with his gun drawn, and she said the teens believed they were being robbed and tried to escape.

“He was aiming at all the windows and towards both of us,” said Kalee Marsteller, who was riding in the passenger seat. “Not the tires or anything trying to stop the car — he was aiming at us.

Santellana attempted to drive out of the parking lot in reverse, pinning Garza between the Taurus and vehicle parked beside it.​

Garza opened fire multiple times, and the vehicle sped through the parking lot and struck a curb, which caused it to go briefly airborne…

Santellana got out of the wrecked car and collapsed, and he later died from a gunshot wound to the back.

A neighbor and friend of Santellana, Steven Yarbrough got video footage of the incident which shows Garza wearing a grey sweatshirt and black pants, with no visible indication that he was a police officer. “I was trying to get videos and pictures,” Yarbrough said, “and when I started videotaping, he pushed the phone down and told me that if I didn’t delete the video that he was going to confiscate my phone.”

Danielle Brock, another neighbor told the local ABC affiliate: “They expect kids not to run away from an officer that has a gun in his hand, but they don’t even know he’s an officer.”

The Navasota Police Department is expected to make a statement later today.

Joanna Rothkopf

#69     Aug 27, 2014
  10. jem

jem

More evidence we need old school liberals who are anti government power and not supporting bigger stronger govt.

#70     Aug 27, 2014
    Lucrum likes this.