White Privilege

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dbphoenix, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, you're affected.

#581     Mar 25, 2015
  2. Max E.

Max E.

LOL, nope, i just find you to be a hilariously childish human being. :D

#582     Mar 25, 2015
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Still on about me.

Lol, affected.

#583     Mar 25, 2015
  4. Update your ignore list, you "affected" leftist pussy.

oh forgot, LOL.

#584     Mar 25, 2015
    Max E. likes this.
  5. Clearly, the "affected one" couldn't come up with some after the fact leftist rationalization ...ergo, straight to the "raycism" meme.

#585     Mar 25, 2015
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
    'Illegal Discrimination Still Significant and Persistent'
    From the RES Conference at the University of Manchester:

Illegal Discrimination Still Significant and Persistent: If you are black, foreign, female, elderly, disabled, gay, obese or not a member of the dominant caste or religion in your community, you may face ‘significant and persistent discrimination’ when you go to apply for a job, rent a house or buy a product. That is the overall conclusion of a new survey by Judith Rich of 70 field studies of discrimination conducted during the last 15 years. Her report will be presented at the Royal Economic Society’s 2015 annual conference. Field studies of discrimination in markets ensure that group identity is the only difference observed by the decision-maker about an individual. Carefully matched testers, one from the group that may be the victim of discrimination, apply for jobs, rental accommodation or to buy a house or flat, or to purchase goods or services. This can be done in person, over the telephone, (where testers are trained) or, in the majority of studies, in writing, usually by email (where content and style are equivalent). Among the findings of the 70 experiments in the analysis:
    • An African-American applicant needed to apply to 50% more job vacancies than a white applicant to be offered an interview.
    • Having a higher qualification made virtually no difference for African-Americans but it made a significant improvement in interview offers for whites.
    • White applicants with a criminal record received more interviews than African-Americans with no criminal record.
    • Older workers needed to make between two to three times as many job applications as a young worker to get an offer of interview.
    • When purchasing products, higher prices were quoted to minority applicants buying used cars in the United State and Israel, drinks in nightclubs and bars in New Orleans, and seeking car repairs in Chicago.
    The author notes that discrimination of this type is hard to counteract by developing additional skills: ‘Immigrant groups were discriminated against despite being educated in schools, and proficient in the language, of the country of residence.’ It is illegal in many countries for an employer or estate agent to discriminate, but these studies indicate its continued covert existence. One problem is that it is difficult for a victim of this type of discrimination to find evidence to instigate legal action under current legislation, raising the issue of the adequacy of anti-discrimination laws. ...

Article >>

#586     Mar 31, 2015
    dbphoenix likes this.
  7. hedron

hedron

Well, I've been turned down by jobs simply because I was white and they needed to fill a quota. So, it does happen. And there's nothing I can do about it. Was I supposed to claim the white guy who interviewed me was a racist? Please!

If you are black, foreign, female, elderly, disabled, gay, obese or not a member of the dominant caste or religion in your community, you may face ‘significant and persistent discrimination’​

I really believe that study's like this are created specifically to stir up animosity towards white males. If you've ever heard a liberal type talk politics and mention "white males" you will hear the same type of sneer in their voice that you'd expect from a KKK member talking about black people.

Affirmative Action was supposed to give blacks an edge to get into the workplace after the legacy of Jim Crow. Which sounds fair. But there is no end of it in sight and to top that off it's also applying to other groups that did not face that type of discrimination. There are even ethnic groups in the United States who did face the same treatment and discrimination that blacks did, yet they do not benefit from AA.

And what of those people, primarily Germanic people's, who never had a hand in slavery or Jim Crow? We're supposed to be discriminated against, because of something the British did?

#587     Mar 31, 2015
    Clubber Lang and der_kommissar like this.
  8. hedron Well, I've been turned down by jobs simply because I was white and they needed to fill a quota. So, it does happen.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To poster hedron. Please explain why you feel you do not get the job. Please provide proof you do not get job because of quota.

Also from the link of dbphoenix poster who post many educational links to read.

: ‘Immigrant groups were discriminated against despite being educated in schools, and proficient in the language, of the country of residence.’

#588     Mar 31, 2015
    Ricter likes this.
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is
    May 15, 2012UncategorizedJohn Scalzi

[​IMG]

I’ve been thinking of a way to explain to straight white men how life works for them, without invoking the dreaded word “privilege,” to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon. It’s not that the word “privilege” is incorrect, it’s that it’s not their word. When confronted with “privilege,” they fiddle with the word itself, and haul out the dictionaries and find every possible way to talk about the word but not any of the things the word signifies.

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word “privilege,” in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?

Being a white guy who likes women, here’s how I would do it:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US — or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world — is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it’s easier to get.

Now, once you’ve selected the “Straight White Male” difficulty setting, you still have to create a character, and how many points you get to start — and how they are apportioned — will make a difference. Initially the computer will tell you how many points you get and how they are divided up. If you start with 25 points, and your dump stat is wealth, well, then you may be kind of screwed. If you start with 250 points and your dump stat is charisma, well, then you’re probably fine. Be aware the computer makes it difficult to start with more than 30 points; people on higher difficulty settings generally start with even fewer than that.

As the game progresses, your goal is to gain points, apportion them wisely, and level up. If you start with fewer points and fewer of them in critical stat categories, or choose poorly regarding the skills you decide to level up on, then the game will still be difficult for you. But because you’re playing on the “Straight White Male” setting, gaining points and leveling up will still by default be easier, all other things being equal, than for another player using a higher difficulty setting.

Likewise, it’s certainly possible someone playing at a higher difficulty setting is progressing more quickly than you are, because they had more points initially given to them by the computer and/or their highest stats are wealth, intelligence and constitution and/or simply because they play the game better than you do. It doesn’t change the fact you are still playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

You can lose playing on the lowest difficulty setting. The lowest difficulty setting is still the easiest setting to win on. The player who plays on the “Gay Minority Female” setting? Hardcore.

And maybe at this point you say, hey, I like a challenge, I want to change my difficulty setting! Well, here’s the thing: In The Real World, you don’t unlock any rewards or receive any benefit for playing on higher difficulty settings. The game is just harder, and potentially a lot less fun. And you say, okay, but what if I want to replay the game later on a higher difficulty setting, just to see what it’s like? Well, here’s the other thing about The Real World: You only get to play it once. So why make it more difficult than it has to be? Your goal is to win the game, not make it difficult.

Oh, and one other thing. Remember when I said that you could choose your difficulty setting in The Real World? Well, I lied. In fact, the computer chooses the difficulty setting for you. You don’t get a choice; you just get what gets given to you at the start of the game, and then you have to deal with it.

So that’s “Straight White Male” for you in The Real World (and also, in the real world): The lowest difficulty setting there is. All things being equal, and even when they are not, if the computer — or life — assigns you the “Straight White Male” difficulty setting, then brother, you’ve caught a break.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

#589     Mar 31, 2015
  10. LOL. Sounds like a guy with waaaaay too much time on his hands trying to figure out something that anyone with a brain doesn't gives two shits about. "White privilege" is a made up term, made up by people who actually believe life should be fair across the board. You got to be an f'n idiot to think that exists any where in the real world. What's next, attractive privilege? Tall privilege? Full head of hair privilege? Great shape privilege? Anyone of any color, size or shape can break it down like a fraction trying to figure out why someone has more than they do, or you can just live your life to the best of your ability and quit comparing how you feel inside to what other people appear to have on the outside. Real self satisfaction is an inside job that is, in the end, entirely up to the individual.

#590     Mar 31, 2015
    hedron, Tom B and Max E. like this.