White Monday?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Oct 10, 2008.

1. bgp

bgp

with 8 days in a row down we should have a up day.

bgp

#11     Oct 10, 2008
  2. 11Blade

11Blade

8 Reds in a row... next one should be Black. Must be black.

(Famous last words at Roulette wheel)

#12     Oct 10, 2008
  3. Isn't monday a federal holiday?
    will stock market be open?

#13     Oct 10, 2008
  4. Last time I looked (at the cme website on S&P limits) the breakers are to the downside -no up limits -check it out for yourselves.
    Also CMEs trading Sunday/Monday as usual I think.

Why are we due a short covering rally??? Shorts haven't had enough time to re-establish themselves. I suspect that many of those that did were stopped out already.

Today's price action really doesn't say much to most people. Really have you ever seen anything like it to be able to draw conclusions? I doubt it very much. Price action is completely chaotic.
    All I do know is that the market rallies sharpest in a bear market.
    The fuckwits on cnbc have called a low practically every day so far this year. Could they finally be right???

#14     Oct 10, 2008
  5. I love the clueless who pick bottoms, big gains OR losses such as this. They "have a feeling" or "just know we are due."

Trying to predict the future separates papertraders from the experts. You don't have a clue what is going to happen next.

See how the market moved up 800 and down 600 DJ points in the last 90 minutes?

#15     Oct 10, 2008
  6. Note: I'm new so consider points newbie opinion and questions of relevance rather than prediction rant. Please correct me if you believe I'm off base, I firmly believe this is a far better place than cnbc to learn about trading.

Market does what it does. Seemed like the market was looking so hard for a bounce it started about 15-20 min early. Then the market panicked again because time ran out for the continued up. BUT, the panic slowed and didn't bring the ES anywhere near low 800's bottom. What happened? Seems like panic was shorter lived and greed was fighting back a bit more. Fear won the day, but greed held the line well, and market makers won't ignore that.

LB CDS results were in. It wasn't good news (400b instead of 280-300b) but it was/is transparency!! Knowledge, truth, confident hard numbers. Something the pros and even scared money prefer.

I think 60b went back in money markets today? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that bleeding clearly slowed if not reversed, at least short term.

Commercial paper for GE was "easier" to acquire. That should spread like wildfire to the banks and the pro's. If the rumor gets more positive through the weekend, that is a huge deal here.
    htttttp://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/12406224/c_12404957?f=home_todayinfinance

A little more positive Govt news (global cooperation) this weekend and I'm a buyer Monday morning for about 50% of my IRA (fear still has me a bit :) After losing 11% YTD, and seeing more red, I went 85+% in cash for the last couple of months.

I'm not sayin the fat lady sang yet, but maybe a White Monday with a week or so of plus activity of 160 to 180 ES points.

#16     Oct 10, 2008
  7. kxvid

kxvid

What do you mean what about index shorts? Or just shorts on DOW stocks in general such as GE. They might all rush to cover on Monday if things look positive to lock in their gain.
    I think we go higher.
    Trading is all about predicting the future. You could liken wall street to a bunch of fortune tellers; instead of predicting people's futures predicting the future prices of trading instruments.
    In the past 10 years we have never had 9 straight days in a row of the DOW going down. We are sooo due for a bounce, even if we are going to 7500 or whatever. The market does not just go up or down. It goes up AND down.

#17     Oct 11, 2008
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Yes, but the bond market will be closed.

An easing in the credit markets could also contribute to a "panic buy," whether it's Monday or some other day. There was some mild improvement in the LIBOR and commercial paper Friday, but the pesky TED Spread stayed very high.

#18     Oct 11, 2008
  9. hmmm... g7 said they are going to be injecting money into the market by buying bank stocks? Where are they getting all of this money? From the Tbills that the hedge funds have been loading up on while they short the market. Improving prices means the hedge funds are going to have to buy their own money back to cover their shorts! Brilliant!

#19     Oct 11, 2008
  10. bingo thanks MK!
    I was gonna roll outta town for mon. but may stick around... If the
    credit markets are not open we could see a nice pop IMO.

#20     Oct 11, 2008