Whip out the big 21" or go LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Jan 3, 2004.

1. if you like having what amounts to a TV SET on your desk :p

that monstrosity weighs in @ 92 pounds and sticks two feet out the back!

#31     Jan 4, 2004
  2. As evidenced on this board, everyone has their own opinion on this issue. All I know is that I bought two Viewsonic 17" flat panels (VG171b) in mid-2002 and they are still doing fine. No problems with either.

One of the reasons I went with the Viewsonics was the specs at the time appeared to be better than most of the alternatives in that price range.

Further, they supported digital (DVI). I'm not sure if this makes a big difference or not, but my monitors appear to be clearer and more vivid than any others I've seen.

#32     Jan 4, 2004
  3. Also, I have heard to choose the clear type choice in Windows...It was supposed to improve readability of text in LCD's and higher resolutionss on CRT's?

Is this true?

Are their times when this is not recommended?

Michael B.

#33     Jan 4, 2004
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

5. Just a lot of questions.

I thought that I would use the "Hardware" section of this website to talk to traders about their monitor set-ups. My technical questions may be out-of-bounds for this place.

I find myself with time these days, as I have organized my life around my wife, trading and a full time job. Some of you might say how do you do that!

Actually, trading takes very little time now. The grail search is still ongoing, but trading what I know works is actually boring and just data-entry now.

So please if this is getting too techy, I will shut up. I hope this thread has helped someone. Please don't yell at me, I am just a Savant and have a tendancy to make thinks impossibly complicated! (side note: my wife will NEVER buy a car with me again)

Michael B.

P.S. I have a wonderful 1990 plymouth voyager that I bought used two years ago for 2k

#35     Jan 4, 2004
  6. MRWSM

MRWSM

Here it is, 50,000 hours.

Longevity Display aging is as inevitable as the wear of brake pads and tires on your car. The display industry measures the lifetime of a product as the time it takes for the display to reach a point where the brightness is one half that of the original. A CRT ages in two ways—an oxide layer forms on the cathode of the electron gun and it generates less beam current; and the phosphor ages and becomes less efficient at converting electron energy to light. The CRT half-brightness point occurs between 10,000 and 20,000 hours depending upon electron gun design. The only item that ages on an LCD monitor is the backlight which is comprised of one or more tiny fluorescent tubes. The typical life of these tubes is 50,000 hours to the half brightness point. ADVANTAGE: LCD

http://cp.yahoo.net/search/cache?va...PdG6UIFDNN0J:www.viewsonic.com/pdf/wp_lcd.pdf

#36     Jan 4, 2004
  7. When spending $600.00 plus for a monitor, surely fluorescent tubes can be replaced for under $200.00. If you do-it-yourself probably under $100.00......Why wait for half life?

Hey tech dudes...design a maintenance package for LCD owners...kinda like those inkjet refill kits...You heard it here on EliteTrader....Thank you....Thank you... :)

Michael B.

#37     Jan 4, 2004
  8. Boomer

Boomer

still a lingering question, what are the most important specs.

can someone explain resolution?

what does refresh rate mean?

thanks...

#38     Jan 4, 2004
  9. Boomer

Boomer

also, anybody have any experience with dell monitors?

#39     Jan 4, 2004
  10. Does Dell make anything unique? themselves?

Michael B.

P.S. Sometimes you got to read the specs closely....for example I went into Costco and saw a Sony Laptop with one of those kewl 16.1 screens. BUT IT WAS NOT 1600x1200 resolution that Sony is famous for on those laptops....it was a trick. Sony told me it was a "made-for-costco ONLY" stock #

Michael B.

#40     Jan 4, 2004