Whip out the big 21" or go LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Jan 3, 2004.

1. You have cleared up a longevity question that I had. The health issues are a good point. Thanks for that viewsonic link. Free shipping until tomorrow too. But I need to think on this more. It's a problem being a Savant.

Michael B.

#21     Jan 4, 2004
  2. Which one is newer or better? There is a third one by Sony named CPD-G520P.

Isn't the Stylepro CPD- E540 the best one though?

Sony has many model numbers...also they make/made for Sun, Dell, HP and others....very confusing

Michael B.

#22     Jan 4, 2004
  3. Do they make a cover that goes over these big 21 inchers to cut back the radiation?

Michael B.

#23     Jan 4, 2004
  4. Hey, I just got an idea....

Any trader here who wants to dump their 21" Sony PM ME. I need 2 of them preferably the same model. But PM me as I can buy 1 from each person.

Michael B.

#24     Jan 4, 2004
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

One of my buddies who knows more than me says Viewsonics are the best. I'm not sure about this but I like them. High brightness, colors, and very good clarity. In fact I have to keep mine at max darkness because it was so was too bright for being on long hours.

#25     Jan 4, 2004
  6. bandit

bandit

#26     Jan 4, 2004
  7. i'mlong

i'mlong

You make a good pt on backlights. They go out first and are not worth it to repair. Most companies will only guarantee for ONE year only. The reason? Bc they don't usually last more than 3 years. I have CRTs that last over 6 years. So, cost is an issue no matter what anyone says. If you run 4-5 monitors and you have to replace them every other year for lcd's, its considerably more costly.

#27     Jan 4, 2004
  8. Won't backlights come down in price?...are they hard to replace for the do- it- yourselfer's?

Michael B.

#28     Jan 4, 2004
  9. MRWSM

MRWSM

I have one CRT that is from 1994, almost 10 years and still kicking. I gave it to my mother along with one of my older computer system. I estimate that it has gone through about 30,000 hours, and shows no sign of quiting yet.

I read on a site that LCD back lights will last 50,000 to 60,000 hours. I'll have to look for it.

#29     Jan 4, 2004
  10. Questions;

What is the difference between these terms when used in Monitor spec's under resolution?

• Native
    • Optimal
    • Recommended

Also are these consideration more important with LCD spec's?

Also are these terms to be considered with video cards?

Sorry for all the questions but when buying older equipment one must get the right match to the video card, I think.

If I have a Matrox G400 16/32mb Dual Head Video Card, I obviously can't run LCD's. Also I note that the 2nd monitor must run at the lower 1280x1024 resolution

Michael B.

#30     Jan 4, 2004