Whip out the big 21" or go LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Jan 3, 2004.

1. eyestrain thes past few months and still use a CRT

( did buy a new CRT recently by viewsonic )

my secret is getting a new prescription from my eye doctor

for computer viewing

I use my old prescription for outside my home most of the rest
    of the time when I am not trading ( using computer )

#11     Jan 3, 2004
  2. Kap

Kap

I have 3 GS 520's & 4 Gs420's, they have out lived my flat panels. Amongst all the gadgets, computer accesories and other gumpf I eventually regret purchasing, these sony's are the one exception.

Solid as a rock and come highly recommended (Imo).

Kap.

#12     Jan 4, 2004
  3. Boomer

Boomer

are those crt's?

#13     Jan 4, 2004
  4. #14     Jan 4, 2004
  5. Boomer

Boomer

where would you reccomend buying lcd's. maybe some website links...thanks...

#15     Jan 4, 2004
  6. #16     Jan 4, 2004
  7. Boomer

Boomer

could someone with comp knowledge help me out a little. all i know is i want 3 19in lcd's. i dont know what specs to look and compare. what is the most important in looking at lcd's.

#17     Jan 4, 2004
  8. #18     Jan 4, 2004
  9. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

I use Sony E540's and they're terrific. I've avoided flat panels because of the reputation for short lives, plus they seem less clear than the Sony Trinitrons.

I had bought a samsung monitor years ago and it lasted less than 8 months, so I'll never buy samsung again. Sony's still the only way to go. (and viewsonic is ok too).

Interesting idea re different prescriptions for "in front of pc vs outside", I'll ask my eye doctor about that.. thanks.. one thing I remember is helpful is to use glasses in front of the pc w/UV coating to protect against radiation, for those of us in front of 6+ CRTs 8+ hrs'/day... never heard of "TFTs?" before, will check out..

you're all making good points... I suppose one lesson learned is, "go check out the latest monitors every now and then" in person to see what the latest is, and to compare them side by side...

I liked the widescreen apple monitor I saw in my doctor's office awhile back, but they were $8K+, so not cost effective. Looked great though...

aloha,

ken

#19     Jan 4, 2004
  10. MRWSM

MRWSM

Actually Flat Panels are supposed to outlast CRT's by as much as 3 times. The first thing that goes is the back light, the rest of it will out last us. I don't know about repairing back lights but it's probably better just buying a new one after this.

True, flat panels will pay for themselves in energy costs for us heavy users.

Also with flat panels there is about zero radiation emition so you have to figure it is better for us healthwise.

I'm not convinced about eye stran with the better CRT's though. As far as I know there is no difference and depends on what your eyes are accustomed to. But a flat panel with it's non flicker screen must have an edge.

CRT's still are king for resolution flexibility and refresh rates.

If you want a CRT I suggest using a smaller Viewsonic 17''. They have lower radiation emition than others and use only 70 watts, just a little more than a flat panel. I also found a huge difference in brightness and clarity compared to some other CRT's. It's 1280x1024 resolution is the minimum you would want to use for trading. I also like Viewsonic flat panels and would suggest them. Here's a link for a 17'' Viewsonic CRT.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...cs&sku=603717-5&c=us&l=en&cs=19&page=external

#20     Jan 4, 2004