Which would you rather trade

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by BloodTrader, Feb 17, 2004.

1. How do you determine varying the size? Allow me to take a gander... you are saying that if the trade has a higher probability of working out, due to past (positive) performance results, then size is more?

#11     Feb 18, 2004
  2. Not quite sure if that's what I mean.

If you are to pick the next trade you do and size up 10x, then trading the system with a 66% chance of winning 1:1 is better than only having a 33% chance of winning 3:1.

#12     Feb 18, 2004
  3. SumJurk

SumJurk

I think amigasearch hit it on the nail. I believe it's Marty Schwartz who echoed a similiar statement in his book.

If the market gives him 4 ticks, he takes it. He needs to ring the register. Ringing the register and taking a profit tells him he's right, and he needs to be right...over and over again.

So, it really depends on your psychological makeup. What works for you?

#13     Feb 18, 2004
  4. This is true for me, too. That is why I am trading systems with between 65% and 70% profitable, but only about 1-1 ave gain/loss.

m

#14     Feb 18, 2004
  5. say you start with 10k and trade 10 year notes (margin req. at $800/contract) with the risk at $500

12 trades
    33% system ($1500 gain/$500 loss/contract) = max of 2 contracts
    8 losers in a row (-$8000)
    then
    4 winners after (+12000)
    = +$4000 after 12 trades

66% system ($500 gain /$500 loss/contract) max contracts = 3 contracts
    4 losers in a row = -$6000
    then
    8 winners = +$12000
    =+$6000 after 12 trades

it would be very important to know if these system streak losers and winners or are evenly distributed.

#15     Feb 18, 2004
  6. In the system I am trading there are occasional streaks of losers, but no more than 6 in a row in backtests (so probably more in real trading). During the DD periods there are more trades. One way to improve the equity curve is to limit the max number of entries at one time. Smooths out the curve a great deal. Of course, I have to do this for the sake of money management anyway.

m

#16     Feb 18, 2004
  7. A). See my journal on compounding.

#17     Feb 18, 2004
  8. A 20 cents question:

Before placing an order for each trade, I would think there should be an inherited uncertainty for the gain/loss ratio (whether 3:1 or 1:1 or else) of the trade since we would not even know in advance whether the market will go south or north for the trade (if every trade would have the same gain/loss ratio as the system average based on historical data).

Then the issue would be "how are we newbies able to derive an estimated gain/loss ratio for a particular trade?", assuming we could know for sure the market would go to our favourable (1) Direction (2) First, and (3) Reaching the profit target (4) Before bouncing back and (5) Not touching the stop loss. :mad:

:confused:

#18     Feb 21, 2004
  9. I'm not sure I understand your question. My expectation on win/loss ratio is based on 6 years of backtesting and 1.5 years of real time trading. The system has maintained it's 65% profitable trades statistic throughout (though on very short periods, of course, it varies).

Without the testing and real time trading, I would have no idea what to expect.

m

#19     Feb 21, 2004
  10. Therefore, imo, the ratio (alone), which is merely a statistical data with possibly very minimum predicting value, would Not be considered a (critical) issue for decisions!?

:confused:

#20     Feb 21, 2004