Which way will you choose, more bottom up or more top down?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Oh I got a few answers/solutions but there are few voters and even fewer politicians with the common sense, integrity or back bone to implement them.
    Meaning it's too late to be pragmatic and start doing what we should have been doing all along?

#41     May 1, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Hayek is right about how the market can "find" the right price for things, but Keynes is right that man's "animal spirit" can interfere with that.

#42     May 1, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

You should stick to oil rig parts Ricter, I think you know even less about economics...than I do.

#43     May 1, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

I know it's very simplistic, but not untrue, unless I have Keynes meaning of animal spirit completely wrong.

#44     May 1, 2011

5. Well?

Look, I keep this thread up because no other nation could produce a statement like that video. America is so effective because no other nation in the world can say that they can morph into whatever form it needs to protect itself based on it's diversity.

So, we are in a crisis, we will hit the ground. But when we stand up, no one knows what form we will take. That is deadly. Who else in the world can say that?

#45     May 1, 2011
  6. You lost me, I didn't know Bush had an economic policy.

#46     May 1, 2011
  7. This video has had > 300,000 views in four days. Americans are getting engaged. You know what that means. We don't wake up often but when we do.........

#47     May 1, 2011
  8. Keynes' way requires Central Planning. Central Planning has always been the hallmark of Communism.

But - there is also another reason why Central Planning succeeds. When you are a big enough player (monopoly) or can collude with other big players (cartels), then it is in your interest to perpetuate Central Planning, because you can guide and direct the benefits to yourself or your cartel. If you can bully your weight around in the market place, what's to stop you - altruism?

So the government's job is to break the grip of the special interests whose desire is to stifle competition (bottom-up approach).

There is no bottom-up anymore - not unless by bottom-up you mean what the big boys with gov't help do to everybody else - and without Vaseline. :D

#48     May 1, 2011
  9. That is the point, precisely. What does freedom mean to you?Which way do you choose?

#49     May 1, 2011
  10. bronks

bronks

I don't know where the line of diminishing returns is when cutting the defense budget vs jobs lost is, but I'd imagine a shit load load could be saved by severly cutting the spending and invest more in R&D defensive technology instead of making more bullets and tanks per say.

Shutter all foreign US bases for a set period and bring everyone home.
    ... yeah right... Israel would have something to say about that.

Begin massive Federal infrastructure improvements. I believe (I may be wrong) this has worked to some extent in the past. If the Govmnt is gonna print money, it may has well line our labor force pockets.

Stop all social programs except for the elderly and invalid. Use troops bought home to supplement National Guard if public urchins have problems with this and get unruly. (NOT not be confused with running a police state.)

Do Not up the Debt Ceiling, Do Not provide anymore bailouts, Do Not pass go and collect 200 dollars.

Begin drilling for oil on our turf. On shore, off-shore, the Gulf, Alaska, whatever. Just get it done... immediately... until this whole alternative fuel thing gets sorted out. Then flip the mid-east and Hugo baby the bird.

Convince the nation that this is needed... then shove it down their collective throats if need be.

If your house is not in order, you have no business trying to run others... Our house needs some deep cleaning.

EDIT: Is it possible to install both Keynes and Hayek principles in a balanced effort for the best?

#50     May 1, 2011