Which war on terror do the Dems support?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

#11     Sep 21, 2006
  2. Who gives them a right to check any of my phone calls? What makes them think is from AQ? Why not use due process, even if after the fact, to make sure that freedom and liberties are not stolen. See, you already are ready to give up some of your liberties... and you know it is a slippery slope. Remember that bastard named Hoover?

#12     Sep 22, 2006

3. Hapa, are you sure you know what's <i>in</i> the Patriot Act?
    Below you'll find some of the details of the 'Financial Anti-Terrorism Act', the section of the Patriot Act that deals with finance issues.

Tell me what these new laws look like to you;
    A bona fide 'terror-fighting' effort? ...Or is it just another power-grab by those who rule over us?

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:0DLKHQdswIkJ:financialservices.house.gov/media/pdf/ftolss.pdf

<b>Section 101. Bulk Cash Smuggling Into or Out of the United States</b>
    This section makes it a Federal crime, punishable by up to 5 years in prison, for anyone to knowingly conceal more than $10,000 in currency or other monetary instruments on his person or in any conveyance, article of luggage, merchandise or other container, and to transport or attempt to transport that currency across the border with the intent to avoid the requirement that such currency be declared to Customs inspectors.

<b>Section 109. Violations of Section 6050I of the Internal Revenue Code</b>
    26 U.S.C. § 6050I requires any trade or business receiving more than $10,000 in cash to report the transaction to the IRS on Form 8300. Failure to file the form subjects the trade or business to civil and criminal sanctions.

<b>Section 118. Prohibition on False Statements to Financial Institutions Concerning the Identity of a Customer</b> This section makes it a Federal crime, punishable by up to 5 years in prison, to knowingly falsify or conceal a customer’s true identity in a transaction with a financial institution, including a bank, securities firm, or insurance company.

<b>Section 303. Prohibition on Acceptance of Any Bank Instrument for Unlawful Internet Gambling</b> Internet gambling serves as a haven for money laundering activities. FBI representatives have told Committee staff that a huge potential exists for offshore gambling sites to be used to launder money.

This section prohibits a gambling business from accepting bank instruments in connection with unlawful Internet gambling. Covered instruments include credit cards, electronic fund transfers, and checks.

Subsection (d) authorizes criminal penalties, including fines or imprisonment for not more than five years, or both. The subsection also authorizes a permanent injunction against a person convicted under this subsection, enjoining such person from placing, receiving, or otherwise making bets or wagers or sending, receiving, or inviting information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers.

I've said it before: The U.S. Government are <b>the bad guys</b>, and Al-Qaida are the even worse guys.

#13     Sep 23, 2006
  4. I don't find anything wrong with the above clauses. Hasn't there been a law on the books far before 9/11 regarding bringing in more than $10K without declaring it to Customs?

Now, do you find anything wrong with the Gov. monitoring calls for Al Qaeda communications?

#14     Sep 23, 2006
  5. In principle, if this intelligence gathering was devoted <b>exclusively</b> for the <b>sole purpose</b> of protecting us from violent terrorists and dangerous criminal predators,
    and <b>if</b> this monitoring was ONLY used to prevent Achmed the Jihadist and/or Hannibal the demented sex offender from attacking their potential victims... sure, I'd find nothing wrong with that.

In reality, it just doesn't work that way. We're talking about a government that performs <b>three</b> drug prohibition enforcement arrests for every <b>one</b> violent crime arrest. Can you tell me that if the surveillance <i>happens</i> to record Bob the harmless non-Muslim, non-pervert American preparing ecstasy tablets for his weekend rave, or evading a bit part of his income tax obligations, that his door won't be kicked in at 4:00 AM the next morning?
    <b>And can you guarantee me that these newly empowered government agents will even <i>try</i> pursuing the real terrorists and criminals, when hunting down a nice easy soft target like Harmless Bob is just soooo much easier to do?</b>

When I see a government that is <b>more</b> interested in protecting innocent people from predators, than 'enforcing laws' by preying on innocent people... then and <b>only</b> then will it be appropriate to discuss granting that government enhanced powers.

#15     Sep 23, 2006
  6. So basically your argument is: I don't trust the government to only go after terrorists, they may ALSO use this to arrest individuals for drug offenses I don't agree with, so they shouldn't be doing this at all.

Sorry, RM. I like you and respect you, but the bottom line is I don't think that, just because I disagree with certain laws, taking steps to detect and capture terrorists should be done away with on the basis that those steps may also be used to arrest people for drug offenses.

Look, I think it's a real pisser that internet gambling is now a no-no because I was thinking about placing some bets (I have a relative who is an incredible sports better, like 70%!!), but I'll be damned if I'm going to let that get in the way of possibly preventing another 9/11.

#16     Sep 23, 2006
  7. Hapaboy

I understand your fear but it is not based on reality.

Since flu is a far worse threat to public health than Al Qaeda then we should also accept forced vaccinations and Nsa listening for running noses.

#17     Sep 23, 2006
  8. ==============
    Good clips hapaboy;
    good clip Arnie:cool:

AAA ;
    McCain may have a shot ;
    but its a real long shot, probably miss that shot:D

#18     Sep 23, 2006
  9. How's this for "reality"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose 9/11 wasn't reality at all, but some special effects extravaganza from Dreamworks, huh? That guy falling from the WTC was a stuntman, not some poor office worker who decided to jump to his death instead of roasting alive?

Get your head out of your ass, you idiot.

#19     Sep 24, 2006
  10. How illogical.

But, that's how fear works, and the way in which terrorist play on that fear, and the way in which fearful Godless westerners are so easily manipulated by the Bushies.

I could post pictures of car crashes, events that happen all the time, and which offer up a greater statistical probability of death or injury than a terrorist attack.

Are you afraid to drive or drive in a car?

LOL!

Cars could be safer, we could elimiate drunk drivers by the use of current technology....yet we do nothing, and the right wingers aren't terrified of driving.

Oh, and more people will be killed in America statistically by domestic violence and gun death than terrorism.

No fear there, you know, of guns and domestic violence?

LOL!!!

How bloody inconsistent...

#20     Sep 24, 2006