which video card for dell t3400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYC212, Aug 28, 2009.

1. NYC212

NYC212

2. The question is what will you be looking at with those monitors.
    Video? Then you'd need a good graphics card.
    Charts only? Almost any card wild do.
    I've even put 10 year old Matrox cards on the T3400 tanks and they run just fine!

Buy it with 1 nVidia 2 port card. Then when you get it, buy an exact duplicate of that card at cheapest place. This way there are no video conflicts to worry about.

3. NYC212

NYC212

just basic charts etc, I want screen real estate.

that is what I had with my hp xw4600. I had 2 basic video cards (identical video cards and it ran fine)

so with that link in my original post what video card would you recommend? do all t3400 comes with 2 port cards?

Dual 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX570, Dual Monitor DVI Capable?

thanks again for your all help! :)

4. NYC212

NYC212

5. I went with the dual nVidia cards Dell offers. The computer came with the cables for connecting 4 monitors. I use with 3 monitors (22 inch) including one for charting and it works fine.

The only upgrades I recall doing on that system were the larger power supply and some additional memory. Others will tell you to buy this elsewhere but it doesn't add that much cost getting it from Dell and then if there's a problem it's their problem, not yours.

6. NYC212

NYC212

would you mind showing me what video card you went with? the link has them all right there

7. NYC212

NYC212

I think I have the right one here to run 4 monitors:

Dual 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290

8. I know next to nothing about computers, but was fortunate to have Gnome take me under his wing and build a great system for less than half of what I was about to pay for an over-clocked trading computer from a well-known company. Gnome swore me to secrecy because he did not want everyone on ET asking him for computer advice, but now that he is, sadly, gone, I guess he won't mind.

He advised me to buy a Dell Precision T3400 with a Core 2 Duo and the video card he recommended almost a year a go was a
    "dual 256MB PCle x 16 nVidia NVS 290, Dual Monitor DVI Capable"

There may be something better now, but this one works great. I run three 24" monitors, but can run up to 4 monitors.

If anyone wants the exact specifications for the whole system, just PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward them to you.

9. NYC212

NYC212

yep, I was looking for him on the dell 3400. I remember he left. but thank you for passing on the great info!