Which variable is important to look at for call/put options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by cashclay, Jul 13, 2021.

1. cashclay

cashclay

I see on the list there IV, volume, deltas, open int, vol/oi . Many traders have told to always check the IV and volume and open int to determine if there is alot of active traders trading the options.
    I am wondering if you guys agree with this statement as well?

.sigma likes this.
  2. zghorner

zghorner

The question is kind of vague but you basically just asked "should I check on the most fundamental components of options to determine liquidity before trading them"...yes lol

you can determine the liquidity via OI and Volume. Also bid/ask spread is a good indicator same as with equities.

IV has to do more with pricing (high IV = expensive options, low IV = cheap options) than liquidity but I am sure there is a relationship there as well...If IV increases I would think liquidity would as well simply because transactions are taking place to cause the rapid movement.

.sigma likes this.
  3. Too many variables in your question. Are you long or short and what strategy?

4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

all of them

5. easymon1

easymon1

Where's this list?
    is that vol divided by oi?

cashclay likes this.
  6. Justrade

Justrade

Gamma

7. cashclay

cashclay

well actually im not a trader of options, although i would like to learn one day . Im trying to use the options market as a gauge for stocks to daytrade in .

If my question were to pick a side it would be call options.

8. cashclay

cashclay

It was on a site called BARCHART.COM

9. RE: Which variable is important to look at for call/put options?

The underlying

10. Delta and IV have nothing to do with liquidity.

Just look at open interest and volume. And look at bud ask spread. Compare with other liquid instruments - similar if possible.

Hth!
    -gariki

#10     Jul 16, 2021
    cashclay likes this.