Which Trading Job should I take?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TheCaymanIsland, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Okay guys, left my old firm and I have a couple opportunities. I think I know which one I'm going to take, but wanted to get your input.

Job 1)

Junior Trader - The title is a misleading. It's a firm that has developed a system that automatically places trades in certain names. The traders job is basically to manage those trades and look for areas that the system needs help with. Monitoring news releases, FDA announcements, etc.

It's a pretty solid base salary with nice bonus potential, depending on firm profitability. Can make 90k plus. Good job security, nice hours, and they will pay for an MBA at a top program.

Job 2)

Trader - Typical trading job. It's for a proprietary options firm. They are top of the line, especially the group I'd be with. Will have 5mil haircut+.

Competitive base, obviously bonus potential is limitless, decent hours, casual dress, sometimes catered lunches. Still have to ask about the MBA. Job security here is a lot less lower than Job 1.

2. Take the risk and go with Job #2. Reward will be better if you deserve it.

3. Are you in a position to take the higher risk for job #2? IMHO, you'll get a much better education than you do babysitting trades and tweaking a black box....and you can take an education anywhere else you go.

4. I would go for option 1. Job security + the MBA does it for me. Also, I think that something like option 2 comes around more often than option 1 anyway.

5. Yes I am in position to take it. No family responsibilities to think about and relatively low expenses.

6. Then choose the one you are most passionate about, because that's the one you'll excel at -- all other things being somewhat comparable.

7. I would agree with this. Take option 1. Option 2 will always be there, possibly with another company tho. I think you will learn a lot at job 1 and it's lower risk than job 2.

If you currently have the ability to trade and you're confident you'll make money then perhaps job 2. If not, job 1. JMHO. Congrats on getting 2 offers!!

8. Oh, and definitely get an MBA. It won't do much for your trading per se, but you will really grow and mature as a person, which does wonders for your trading.