Which Trading Environment Would You Choose To Hone Your Skills In?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rogueRED, Apr 14, 2010.

1. rogueRED

rogueRED

@Laissez Faire - your comments on edge i completely agree with and something I want to think more about, thank you. Also, your ability to 'control yourself' in a demo environment without cheating is not something i would be able to do. You are certainly the exception in this regard. Finally, you mentioned you use NT in the previous post, that is good since this plug-in is being tested in NT7 currently.

@shizo - no argument there. this is just a new type of environment where you can practice and test your strategies as I am sure you wouldnt want to do it live and risk a lot of capital, and the demo senerio has its disadvantages which were outlined before.

On another note, consider this with regard to Prop shops:

Now there are a million ways prop shops operate, but for those that take a guy off the street, teach them a method, and then allocate them funds if they've "proven" themselves - here is an idea...

This new trading environment will allow a prop shop owner to go out and recruit a ton of traders and put them in an environment where they think they are trading live fund but may not be. The owner will then be able to see if a trader can handle 5k, then 10, 50, 100K+ with almost no risk to the firm - all while the trader believes they may be trading firm capital while the firm protects their risk before they move the trader to the next stage. I am by no means an expert in this arena but the logic makes complete sense to me. Im sure there are a ton of prop traders in here reading this, so please punch holes in it so I can see what I am missing.

#31     Jan 12, 2011
  2. I know many approach demo trading like a video game and that may be okay in the beginning in order to test out strategies and simply experiment and have fun :)

However, in the final stages of preparation for live trading, it should be taken very seriously.

I will say that since I have traded live for 2 months before going back to sim trading, it is probably easier to get into the experience compared to someone who has never traded live.

I try to focus on catching POINTS, not DOLLARS. The goal is to never think about my P&L while trading.

Since I now operate with a weekly profit target, it is very important for me to reach that target even though it is sim. The earlier I can prove myself in SIM, the earlier I`m back to live trading. So, in a sense, it`s the same to me :)

Poor sim trading = no live trading.

Since I traded well last week, I will probably resume live trading next week.

Regards,

Laissez Faire

#32     Jan 16, 2011