Which trading book should I get?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by V-Viper, Jan 17, 2004.

1. I would stay away from anything with specific techniques or methods at first.

All the classics listed on this sites Books "Classics" section are excellent.

It is more important to look for the right attitude and mind set first.

After that any good method will do.

This is a mistake that most beginners make but if you can get the right attitude in the beginning it will pay you wisely in the end.

#11     Jan 17, 2004
  2. Hi V-Viper,

If you didn't know yet what "random" means, a number of well intended ET fellows just gave you a demo. In truth, as you are going to find out, the cult of "randomness" is taken quite seriously on ET threads. I hardly know of a more furiously discussed topic.

As I would like to contribute something though, dbphoenix's ideas are right on the mark.

You will have to do your homework to get there V-Viper.
    I wish you the best,

nononsense

#12     Jan 17, 2004
  3. Cutten

Cutten

I recommend "What I learned losing a million dollars" by Jim Paul

#13     Jan 17, 2004

4. Book list!!

A Complete Guide to the Futures Markets: Fundamental Analysis, Technical Analysis, Trading, Spreads, and Options! by Jack D. Schwager (Author) (Hardcover - June 1984)[​IMG]Schwager's textbooks while not specifically about spreads are comprehensive and complete about futures. This book has a small section about trading commodity futures spreads.

Seasonality: Systems, Strategies, and Signals ! by Jake Bernstein (Author) (Hardcover - April 1998)[​IMG]Jake is a trader but this is not a trading book like Ross’s Spreads and Seasonals!. Jake explains how Seasonal patterns are the heart of consistent profits in trading spreads. As long as summer follows winter, we will have tradable cycles.

Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom ! by Van K. Tharp,[​IMG]Tharp is about Winning. Chapter 5 has a section on Spreading as well as Seasonal Tendencies.

#14     Jan 18, 2004
  5. chs245

chs245

Hi James

just got your book today in the mail. I read it in about 2 hours. Not a bad book. I'm have found one simple new strategy in the book that will pay for the book many times over. On the other hand, the statistical significance of some of the strategies (15 trades in 10 years) is really not strong enough and some of the strategies merit a more detailed description. While you can summarize a Gap strategy easily in a couple of pages, a trend following strategy can not. In that sense I was shocked in how you treated the turtle method. Where is the money management feature of the turtle system ?

Anyway, still a useful book. Curious to see how long the strategies will remain profitable.

OLiver

#15     Mar 3, 2004
  6. Read "New Traders Thread". Good Luck, Steve46

#16     Mar 3, 2004
  7. jimmyz

jimmyz

Start out with the psychology first then worry about the technicals...

Dr. Ari Kiev is a great read(s) he has a few books out.

Heard alot of good things about Mark Douglas but I have never read him

Market wizards by Schwartz

Both Sperandeo books

Murphy on market interrelation

Stan Weinstein

William O'Neil

Definitely go with the interlibrary loan on most, after you read them then decide if you want to buy.

#17     Mar 3, 2004
  8. The 21 Irrefutable Truths of Trading By John Hayden Exceptional Trading-The Mind Game By Ruth Roosevelt
    Long Term Secrets to Short Term Trading by Larry Williams

#18     Mar 3, 2004
  9. The classics are the best - that's why they are classics. Read Livermore, Baruch and Darvas - and Market Wizards I and II, if you want some "new" books.

#19     Apr 10, 2004
  10. Yes, your right about Baruch's book - but the correct title is: "My Own Story".
    P.S. Have you sold some books?

#20     Apr 10, 2004