Which Tick Charts do you prefer for Day-Trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by achilles28, Nov 9, 2012.

1. as others have hinted at, the datafeed makes all the diff in tick bars. for ex, compare a kinetick (rebranded iqfeed) 233 tick chart and a ib tick chart and you'll clearly see a diff b/c ib samples the data.

i switched to tick/volume charts years ago b/c i realized i was missing all of the price movement in 1 time bar - this is esp noticeable during major econ events.

#11     Nov 10, 2012
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Yes. And that's why the desire to know where a bar opened or closed is also silly.

#12     Nov 10, 2012
  3. IMHO, if you really know your market then it doesn't matter what size or type of chart you're looking at. The underlying is the same on all charts.

#13     Dec 27, 2012
  4. Gizzz

Gizzz

Just whip my own charts.

#14     Dec 27, 2012
  5. dom993

dom993

My main trading system (PA based) uses a 100-volume chart on CL. When I wrote the 1st version of that system, I was only using volume & price information to identify "pivots" H/L (aka swing H/L), and even though that version did backtest OK though about 30 months of historical data, it didn't like at all the volatility spikes in 2011 from August to the end of the year.

I enhanced the pivots subsystem to also use time in the identification of these pivots, and it made a huge positive difference.

I am now very much convinced that whichever your primary timeframe is, volume or time, one needs to take the other aspect (time or volume) in consideration.

#15     Dec 27, 2012