Which sweep option for IBKR customers?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by helpme_please, Jul 18, 2017.

1. For IBKR customers who trade both stocks and futures, they need to decide which sweep option to choose. This is a headache for us. There is not much information out there for the decision.

For the time being, I choose the "sweep to securities" option because of the SIPC protection based on the document below.
    https://www.indextrader.com.au/SIPC_Protection_For_IB_Clients.pdf

When would it make sense to choose the "sweep to commodities" option?

Can IB representatives on this forum help out?

2. If you want a reply from an IB rep, then you'd better ask the question directly to IB via their message system.
    There used to be a possibility to select what sweep to use. But I have the impression that it is currently being done automatically for you.

3. Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm trying to understand the disadvantage of sweeping into securities. Given the protection, why would I ever not sweep at all or sweep to commodities? I asked IB in chat and they just posted the article from online. Thanks.

4. glv123

glv123

I sweep to commodities account, I couldn't find certainty SIPC would insure the cash if you are not using it for trading.

5. belsons

belsons

6. I find that difficult to believe. You link a web page. Where on that page is it written that excess cash in the commodities account is not eligible to interest payments?

7. belsons

belsons

It's right there in the Calculations tab:
    I confirmed in a message with IB that this is true:

HobbyTrading likes this.
  8. Thank you. I overlooked that particular sentence on that page. At the moment it does not matter much as the current credit interest rates are 0% for all major currencies (and negative in Europe). But it could be worthwhile to remember this for the future.

belsons likes this.