Which stocks would you hold for 30 years?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by eagle488, Oct 1, 2006.

1. id buy
    silver
    xom
    msft
    bac or td
    short goog

#21     Oct 2, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

ETFs...

China
    India
    Metals
    Oil, Food, Aggregate, others

#22     Oct 2, 2006
  3. I don't know about you guys, but my eye is on <b>HLVC</B>

2036, Fortune 500 <i>all the way baby</i>.

#23     Oct 2, 2006
  4. jan168

jan168

thanks for your response,
    like I said I just found ET----still learning...
    for last two days , I tried to explor ET, and got lost countless times.
    thanks again.
    Jan

#24     Oct 2, 2006
  5. My belief is that a large company (with dividends) are the most hopeful of surviving and thriving over a 30 year period no matter what happens.

Lets take, for example, Colgate. The need for toothpaste only increases year after year as the population increases.

I dont believe Colgate or Clorox will ever go out of business. How can people go without toothpaste and bleach?

On the other hand, Google and Microsoft are different stories. Technology will be radically different in a 10-30 year period. The demand for Google and Microsoft will eventually decline as someone invents a better internet search or a better operating system.

I have been buying Colgate toothpaste my entire life. Sometimes I go for other toothpastes, but eventually I always get back to Colgate. There isnt much competition in the toothpaste industry.

#25     Oct 2, 2006
  6. Arnie

Arnie

Banks and Insurance co's.

#26     Oct 2, 2006
  7. BCE

BCE

What about a basket or ETF of biotech stocks? This will be very prominent in the next 30 years. BTW remind me in 30 years when you see me lying in the gutter or going through a trash can looking for food that I should have followed my own advice. :D

#27     Oct 2, 2006
  8. piezoe

piezoe

Thirty years! I'll be dead in 30 years.

#28     Oct 2, 2006
  9. I think you best bet is the QQQQ or SPY. It would be very hard to beat the index because of the survivorship basis. All it would take is for one of you companies to go down the tubes (think Eastman Kodak) and you will underperform. There might be some exceptions like "to big to fail financials" and conglomerates like GE and Berkshire Hathaway

#29     Oct 2, 2006
  10. "All it would take is for one of you companies to go down the tubes (think Eastman Kodak) and you will underperform."

My idea is to buy about $1000 worth of shares from all of the companies I listed for the next 40 months. The list is derived from Merchant's Dividend achievers. So $40,000 in shares from 40 different large cap dividend paying companies.

#30     Oct 2, 2006