Which stocks to trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by janko, Jun 23, 2001.

1. janko

janko

Ok, i'm not sure if you can help me but i am wondering how does one go about selecting which stocks to trade. I have no prefrence as to nasdaq or nyse, basically i am looking for a nice classic chart patterns, simple support and resistance. I know there is software out there that can help with this, and i've looked at tc2000, but personaly i have no idea what kind of paramters to enter in ther. I would like to tell it - hey get me stocks that are hitting their support on weak volume. maybe hitting some resistance, maybe a nice double top/bottom. but the software gets into all kinds of other parameters which i am clueless about. is there anything out there that is a bit simpler than these complex programs? maybe a web site or so. Or which stocks are good pattern followers. and i guess i should mention that this should be for mainly swing trading. and if its not too much to ask, any favorites for day trading. I hope i'm not asking some dumb questions here, but the other day i was staring at my reuters screen at work and i asked myself well if you were to trade, what would you trade, and honestly i kinda had no idea, yeah sure there are the csco and intc dell etc... but those are not good stocks to trade- for beginners, heck maybe for most traders, so thats why i was wondering if there are certain stocks out there that you guys like to trade. once again thnx guys for all of your information.

2. We look at a constant daily basket that includes the following stocks: AMAT, AMCC, AMGN, BEAS, BRCD, BRCM, CHKP, CIEN, EMLX, FCEL, IDPH, INTC, JNPR, MERQ, MUSE, NEWP, NTAP, NVLS, OPWV, PSFT, QCOM, RFMD, SEBL, and VRTS.

We then add stocks to watch on a daily basis based on news, earnings, and sector movement.

Hope this helps!

3. mgregor

mgregor

You don't need any software to alert you to chart patterns. You can easily scan 200-300 stock charts in about an hour. I'd say, you can generally see if there is any favorable pattern in about 3-5 seconds of looking at a chart.

I'm referring to simple double top/bottom and channels. Plus, looking at several hundred charts per day will greatly improve your chart reading skills--something no software will ever do for you.

As far as which stocks to follow, I'd just make sure they are over $10 and have at least 500k plus daily volume, so they will not be easy to manipulate.

Good luck!

For excellent, FREE daily charts, I like http://www.prophetfinance.com