which scripting lang would you learn

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by easymon1, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Excel VBA scripting is no-brainer

#11     Apr 30, 2021
  2. Coding in VBA kills more brain cells than alcohol!

I am not a big fan of VBA, but to each his/her own.

#12     Apr 30, 2021
  3. JSOP

JSOP

You can still use them to build programs to backtest strategies as long as you find the software companies that provide you the compiler. OP is just looking for some scripting languages to build some scripts for backtesting?

Both languages are quite powerful I find even though they were a bit platform-specific. C# is actually a very dynamic language.

#13     May 1, 2021
  4. d08

d08

EasyLanguage is tied to the platform so isn't really an option if you want to use other brokers or data of your choice.

#14     May 1, 2021
  5. Peter8519

Peter8519

Amibroker + AFL is fast and capable of complex system implementation. It can be controlled via OLE using JScript, and VB. It also has a "plug-in" for Python. It takes time to learn AFL but experience programmers should be OK.

#15     May 1, 2021
  6. userque

userque

Which would I learn (assuming I didn't already know it)?
    Python

How and where?
    Videos, books, websites, and just doing it.

#16     May 1, 2021
    M.N likes this.
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Pine

Learn from manual or
    https://kodify.net/tradingview-programming-articles/

Tradingview

#17     May 1, 2021
  8. rucyrat

rucyrat

Most likely, I will go with Python. Leaving apart the technicalities, it is a very simple and useful language. One thing that I really appreciated about scripting languages is that they require less of coding as compared to other novel programming languages. Python also has its influence in the development of data science.

#18     May 22, 2021