Which Reuters Product?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by roctheworld, Nov 27, 2017.

1. I wanted to know if I can customize the time frame for net insider(outside beneficiary) shares brought/sold, and if it would be possible to just click on the holders' names to cross reference.

#11     Dec 4, 2017
  2. srinir

srinir

Ok. There is tab for "Insider Report", but it needs a special access for extra fee in my Xenith platform.
    Time frame customization should not be big deal for them, not sure about cross reference.

#12     Dec 4, 2017
  3. Thanks man. Just had a sample. Reuters sucks much less now:sneaky: We don't care for latency so we just ended up downloading everything we can think of messing around with.

#13     Dec 5, 2017
  4. For investors who are into stocks only, how does Reuters compare against Bloomberg? Would you pay up for Bloomberg terminal even though it is far more expensive? Is Bloomberg terminal still that good?

#14     Jan 27, 2018
  5. truetype

truetype

If you mean equity price data only, there's no reason to pay up for BBG. The marginal value is the analytics.

#15     Jan 27, 2018
  6. In that case, the cheaper Reuters offerings would be enough for stocks. Reuters products also have analytics and it is hard to justify Bloomberg higher price. It's not as if Bloomberg has the obvious superior analytics. Maybe if one is into fixed income as well as stocks, Bloomberg might make a better choice.

#16     Jan 27, 2018
    truetype likes this.
  7. The Metastock Xenith version of Eikon is pretty nifty and good value for money (compares to full Eikon). There are some very useful features missing that the various other SKUs of Eikon have. A lot around Fixed Income is missing and Macro Data is almost completely gone from Xenith. And there is no Datastream access in Eikon

That being said, I still question the accuracy of Eikon (Be it Xenith or full version). Many times the data displayed (price information and calculators) gives me incorrect information or is very error prone. (In other words, I'd say it is a bit buggy).

Example 1: Option Pricer seems to change the date I selected without telling me when I click calculate (sometimes have to do it twice). Also it displays wrong prices for options (often off by 20%+). So fun to play with, but I would not actually rely on the values.

Example 2: Monitor does not always update the value of a symbol until you click on it, so you might think it's trading at 199.50 but that information could be 30 minutes old and just never refreshed.

Example 3: If you have too many rows (say, 100+) it may not update all the columns with information (especially if the market is closed).

Example 4: I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get after hours AND regular trading hours to show up on the same chart (I can have one or the other) OR get the Quote Monitor to continue to update with after hours prices. (Annoying if the price ticks up 1% after market closed because of orders still being filled, and Eikon won't show this correctly).

HOWEVER, the Equity Metrics you can pull is pretty robust and can make doing some work very efficient. Combined with custom formulas, you can generate a view of information with your own calculated metrics, then filter and sort accordingly and watch live updates.

Granted you could do the same with Excel, a data feed, and parsing reports from various web sites.

Having used both Xenith and the Full version of Eikon, I definitely notice the missing functionality, however I'm not sure it warrants the extra price (about 800$+ more for a more enhanced SKU. The full SKU costs 2k/mo).

To be honest, I'd have to start to consider Bloomberg Terminal instead of the full Eikon at that price point. Although I sometimes wonder if any of them would do what I need.

Although, Datastream on Eikon is VERY nice (if you are a Macro junkie). Not seen anything else but a Bloomberg that can do that.

#17     Feb 10, 2018
    truetype likes this.
  8. Hi,

I just picking up on this old thread because I am considering to subscribe to Xenith but I have a few questions in advance tothose who are using it:

1) The key features I am looking for are:

a) a very fast news feed which in on par with Bloomberg or better
    b) My own filtered news feed for keywords, etc
    c) Good access to realtime macro data: No-delay relase of macro data (jobless claims, etc.), realtime global rates markets in yield terms (eg. 10y Trasury and Bunds)

Does Xenith provide these things on par with Bloomberg?

2) I am looking at the Xenith Realtime FX vs. Xenith Realtime Global Future Market package. The first one is 99 and the other one 150 USD per month. Are there any differences in the packages data/functionality apart from realtime Future vs FX? I actually don't care about the realtime data becuase my trading platform provides the relevant realtime data. But I don't want to go for the cheaper FX package if there are other functions/data missing.

Thanks
    rainbow

#18     Apr 7, 2020
  9. 1.a) The news is very fast on Reuters Eikon Terminal (Xenith Version vs Full version are the same for news). I'm not sure if it's 'ms' or even 'second' fast. But definitely within a minute (probably even within a few seconds). Things like Jobs data seem to come out within a few seconds or so. And statements from the WH/etc. seem to be within a minute or so. I haven't compared this to a bloomberg. Faster was never a requirement for me (I don't trade on the news for example).
    (see: picNews.png)

b) Yes, you can filter on anything. Filter on hot lists is great, filter on keywords, as well as multiple built in filters.

c) I seem to see all the macro data come through on the news wire within moments. I have not needed to generate real time graphics, but right now I'm looking at a live tick-by-tick of the 10YT. (See: pic.png)

So, in my humble opinion, it's on par with Bloomberg (or at least, the advantage Bloomberg offers over Eikon for this, does not justify the price difference to me)

2) From what I recall, the FX is really ONLY for FX data. If you want fixed income or equity data you will need the 150$ package. I've not tried the FX package (i'm not an FX trader). However, the 150$ package does also include everything in the FX package.

Note: Even after you pay for the 150$ package, you STILL need to pay for real time equity data from the various exchanges. Otherwise you get 15minute delayed. However, FX is real time regardless.

If you care *zero* about equities, you MIGHT be able to get away with the 99$ package. Not sure if they minimized the macro or fixed income portion. (You would have to ask MetaStock, or, do the free trial and upgrade as needed).

Oh yes, they should have a free trial. If not offered, ask :)

#19     Apr 7, 2020
  10. @ HappyTrader:

Very interesting, thank you for answering my questions. I used to work with Bloomberg for 15 year and based on your reply I will test Xenith with a trial account.

I am just wondering, do you remember if the FX package includes delayed equity data? I don't need it realtime but delayed data would be necessary for me.

Thank you
    rainbow

#20     Apr 7, 2020