Which Republican Candidate will be best for our economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Maverickz, May 5, 2011.

1. Vote for Granny Squidbilly

Or how about Will Ferrell to impersonate Dubya and run as a presidential candidate.

Really, this is '96 all over again. No real republican candidate.

#51     May 11, 2011
  2. yes the facts. they are important:

All told, Obama-era choices account for about $1.7 trillion in new debt, according to a separate Washington Post analysis of CBO data over the past decade. Bush-era policies, meanwhile, account for more than $7 trillion and are a major contributor to the trillion-dollar annual budget deficits that are dominating the political debate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...o-massive-debt/2011/04/28/AFFU7rNF_story.html

#52     May 11, 2011
  3. RON PAUL...I'm working on his grass roots movement here in TEXAS.

#53     May 11, 2011
  4. huh

huh

LOL I had to laugh at the question. I guess I'd say probably Ron Paul but doesn't really matter unless you can replace all the useless cumdumpsters like boehner and McConnell and replace them with Paul clones and maybe there might be some light at the end of the tunnel...but not holding my breath.

#54     May 11, 2011
  5. marceck

marceck

Not entirely correct. Furthermore, aside form this article, Obama added the war into the budget, which Bush hid under discretionary spending.

"In a spirited and unscripted debate with the House GOP, President Barack Obama said Republicans were wrong to portray him as running up large deficits.

Speaking at a retreat for House Republicans in Baltimore on Jan. 29, 2010, Obama was particularly critical of a question from Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas. Hensarling asked Obama, "You are soon to submit a new budget, Mr. President. Will that new budget, like your old budget, triple the national debt and continue to take us down the path of increasing the cost of government to almost 25 percent of our economy?"

"The fact of the matter is," Obama replied, "is that when we came into office, the deficit was $1.3 trillion -- $1.3 trillion. So when you say that suddenly I've got a monthly deficit that's higher than the annual deficit left by Republicans, that's factually just not true, and you know it's not true. And what is true is that we came in already with a $1.3 trillion deficit before I had passed any law. What is true is, we came in with $8 trillion worth of debt over the next decade."

"On Jan. 7, 2009, two weeks before Obama took office, the Congressional Budget Office reported that the deficit for fiscal year 2009 was projected to be $1.2 trillion. The 10-year projection was estimated to be about $3.1 trillion. So Obama's number was very close on the 2009 deficit -- he said $1.3 trillion -- but substantially different from the 10-year projection -- he said $8 trillion.

There are two reasons why he differs from the CBO. On the difference between the $1.2 trillion and the $1.3 trillion, the Obama administration credited a small portion of spending on its watch to policies of the previous administration. The reason for this is that the federal government runs on a fiscal year that starts Oct. 1, so Bush and Obama technically split responsibility for 2009 spending.

The large difference on the 10-year projection has to do with Bush administration tax cuts. The CBO creates its estimates based on current law, which means the CBO assumes that the Bush tax cuts will end in 2010 and everyone will start paying higher taxes in 2011 and going forward. The Obama administration, on the other hand, assumed in its baseline that those tax cuts would be renewed.

Economists we spoke with -- Josh Gordon, policy director for the Concord Coalition, and Brian Riedl, lead budget analyst of the conservative Heritage Foundation -- both said they believe the White House approach is more realistic because it assumes current policy will continue.

So the CBO's estimate is $5 trillion lower than the White House numbers, though economists don't quibble with the White House methodology. It does highlight, however, that when it comes to budget projections, people can have differences of opinion about what to include. In any budget projection there is room for interpretation, but it seems reasonable to assume for a baseline that the Bush tax cuts will continue. Obama's numbers are fairly solid, so we rate his statement Mostly True."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...obama-inherited-deficits-bush-administration/

#55     May 11, 2011
  6. marceck

marceck

Basically, republicans need to face up to the fact that the tax cuts in time of war created our deficit projections for the next 10 years. That they will never do and as such are not for the most part realistic candidates. Mitch Daniels is the only one who actually talks about this and the need to raise taxes along with spending cuts.

#56     May 11, 2011
  7. At this point I couldn't care less who caused the problem. We can point the fingers and play the blame game AFTER it's fixed. The dumbest thing we could possibly do is to stand around pointing fingers at everyone, doing nothing else, the whole time the country is circling the drain. Who knows, it may already be too late but I damn sure don't want people in Washington that keep on doing nothing.

#57     May 11, 2011
  8. jprad

jprad

Every new administration says the exact same thing; they don't want to point fingers at the dearly departed, they just want to get "it" fixed.

And the net result? "It," the national debt, has gone from $1TN to over $14TN in 30 years.

Washington is broken largely because there's zero accountability for anything they do.

#58     May 11, 2011
  9. gtor514

gtor514

Nobody is going to fix this thing because everybody wants it to blow up. What we are about to witness is the final battle of American politics, a social versus capitalist Armageddon.

The only way it can be "fixed" is with massive cuts in entitlement spending and massive increases in taxes. The left won't vote to cut entitlements and the right won't vote to raise taxes. Each side wants to bring the economy to the brink of failure with the expectation that it will force the other side to capitulate, ie the democrats will be forced to vote for cut's in their welfare programs and the republicans will be forced to vote for raising taxes.

There is too much at stake politically and for the survival of each ideology for either side to "blink" first. So what's the result? The whole thing explodes. The country will default, no more deficit spending no more military, no more medicare, no more nothing!

I say good because it's only after it's blown and lying in pieces can it be not just fixed but rebuilt so that it actually works.

#59     May 12, 2011
  10. You may just be right. They already did that in Argentina. (See link below.) Maybe that was the test run for the US? If so then the only question left is how can we position ourselves to get a piece of the pie when the shit hits the fan?

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogaug09/KaPoom2CHS.htm

#60     May 12, 2011