Which puts to buy for tail risk hedging?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Kust, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Kust

Kust

I have read the paper "Capital Asset Pricing Mistakes: The Consistent Opportunities in Tail Hedged Equities" by Chitpuneet Mann, Mark Spitznagel, and Brandon Yarckin.

They define tail risk event as a down 20% move in the S&P 500 over a month. They recommend holding SPY puts with strike roughly 30-35% below spot and 11-12 weeks to maturity.

Are these parameters the best? In other words, which options appreciate the most in case of the tail risk event as defined above?

How to determine it quantitatively? I have some Python skills but no access to the paid data.

dorietrading and dcwriter2 like this.
  2. I use puts which are about 13% below spot, 28DTE. These puts have cost me around 17K per 100K invested from 2013 till now. So approx 2K per year. Biggest win was in week of 18 march 2020, 35K per 100K invested profit.

During low vola you can also buy low delta calendars, to minimize your theta loss.

3. zghorner

zghorner

also consider volatility products like VIX...

whatever you decide I would recommend buying much further dated than you think you will need and selling after you are through with them.

Example: you think the next month will be bad...buy 3 month options and sell after a month. Much less expensive this way but also less delta hedge. IMO it is worth it to go this route considering most OTM hedges expire worthless.

Matt_ORATS likes this.
  4. Kust

Kust

How did you determine those parameters? Are you sure they are optimal?

5. taowave

taowave

Why don't you look at Orats and run some backtests??

Matt_ORATS likes this.
  6. Their recommendations were probably results of the stats at the time they wrote the book. Numbers that'll likely help you are stats for historical slopes, positioning, of the OTM put strips wrt different expirations, and look for ways to improve your own realized vol forecasts, since that'll be the key to your long vegas getting paid.

7. Did you sell once vol popped or hold to expiration?

8. I sell them at 14 DTE

9. I backtested these parameters. They are optimal for me :) They also protect for e.g. moves of -5%.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    newwurldmn likes this.
  10. But the profit on 3 month vix options is lower.
    On 18 march 2020 the 30 days vix was about 70. The 90 days vix future was about 50. Most recommend buying at 2month and selling at 1month.

And vix options don't give you margin relief as do SPY/ES/SPX put options do when you write these type of options. But you can protect stock with it.

#10     Aug 25, 2021