Which OS?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by maxpi, Jan 3, 2003.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I started this thread and then nothing happened in it for awhile.

Meanwhile I put a crowbar on my wallet and got a XP/Intel 2.6GHz, 512, 80 Gb, Raid striping, etc. machine and it had WinXP on it. No problems at all, except my Office 97 Excel crashes on me right before the open every day so I got the close-out academic version of OfficeXP from Best Buy. (Nobody asked me if I was a student at all, I AM of course). When UPS stops playing around with it I will be fully into the third millenium technology wise. As far as being an idiot (or whatever it was I got called) for running win98, well you hurt my feelings, and really, on a good day I'm not an idiot. Now that I have XP however I am of the opinion that anybody running Win98 is an idiot.

Max

#41     Jan 27, 2003
  2. ALICE

ALICE

I haven't had any crashes since I switched to WIN2000 from 98 a year ago. WIN2000 is very stable IMO.

#42     Jan 27, 2003
  3. I have windows XP, but..... there is such a thing as a stable system running Windows 98 Second Edition. They are very rare, but they do exist. If you are one of the lucky people to have such a system, then it all comes down to money. If you are broke, or just happy with what you have, then don't be bullied into an upgrade.

#43     Jan 27, 2003
  4. #44     Jan 27, 2003
  5. gnome

gnome

Afraid that's not true. If your set-up uses too much "resources", no amount of ram nor ram managers will save you.

What I think IS true... If your set-up is taxing W98 lightly, you may be able to get by on it. But if W98 is glitching up, hanging, and BSOD'n on your setup, it's probably too much for W98 to handle and you need to go to W2K or XP. I say this having increased the load on my W98 system from 1998 to 2001... kept adding monitors, programs, browser pages, etc. At the peak, it was running a surprising amount of stuff. However, I got the BSOD 1-2 times per week, if I surfed at all, I get a "resources" crash, and I had to defrag the HD every day. Finally got fed up with it and got a new machine with W2K. No problems now. :)

#45     Jan 27, 2003
  6. #46     Jan 27, 2003
  7. You are right of course but a ram manager can solve your problems

I have a pentium3 600 with 192mb
    Ara always opened on my pc: MS excel, AIQ Trading Expert Pro software, IB TWS, Bracket Trader and one or two internet windows

The ram manager is set up to free 80mb every 10 minutes and it runs without any problem

#47     Jan 27, 2003
  8. gnome

gnome

Your ram managers is helping. I had one too, and it helped. But once your set-up runs into a resources conflict that W98 can't handle, it's curtains till you reboot.

#48     Jan 27, 2003
  9. maxpi

maxpi

I had a RAM manager and 192meg o'memory. These systems just get to be so trailing edge that you can't really do what you want with them, the case was so retro it was no good even, cooling improved with the newer cases since then. Being cheap is one of the best ways to handicap yourself. When your computer repair guy starts saying things like "with that BIOS you can't really...." then the whole thing usually has to go. Of course if your system is working for you who cares what somebody thinks about it, mine was just becoming unworkable.

Max

#49     Jan 27, 2003
  10. stravens

stravens

A few years ago I used Win 98 with 256 Ram , I found it would lock up often then switched to XP - PRO works much better but would suggest more than 256 Ram for best use

#50     Jan 27, 2003