Which one of you guys made this reddit post

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by nooby_mcnoob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. speedo

speedo

Th original as well as translations had/have to adhere to structure not rhyme.

#41     Aug 14, 2018
  2. speedo

speedo

:D Yes, nobody younger than a precocious 25 should attempt it.

#42     Aug 14, 2018
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

actually i am surprised that mots current poetry in english is not rhymed.. no need?

#43     Aug 14, 2018
  4. speedo

speedo

Artists like to break molds.

#44     Aug 14, 2018
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

they also like to shit all over them if competitors...

#45     Aug 14, 2018
  6. sle

sle

LOL, I hear you. To quote a former colleague of mine, “the difference between a penis and a finger"

#46     Aug 15, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  7. qlai

qlai

So what's stopping you exactly? Sounds like you have just the skills needed. I gotta tell you that I was surprised to see such lengthy posts from you. Usually they are short and to the point (at least ones I came across).

#47     Aug 18, 2018
  8. Lee-

Lee-

I try to be concise for the most part, but I was in a babbling mood, probably partially due to alcohol, but also due to being particularly annoyed at my employer lately.

To answer the question, I have a family and in order to take on a job that I'd want, I'd almost certainly have to move to a high cost of living area (Chicago or NYC). From what I understand, most firms will pay a salary the same or less than I'm making now (of course there's potential for bonuses). I'm actually OK with that except that a lot of firms go under. If I end up taking less pay and moving to a high cost of living area, I won't be able to afford going without a job if I have to switch firms, which could take 12+ months (at least that's what a recruiter told me). As such, it's too risky unless I were to get in with a well established firm, but my lack of industry experience and that I didn't go to a top school. I have the skills in ways that only people who do exactly the type of stuff I'm interested in would really appreciate, but without having an in at a specific firm, I don't know how to get past the HR person. I have no idea what they're looking for in a resume and I have a lot of skills that I know are relevant, but I don't know how to write them concisely to get the key ideas across and in such a way that an HR person would understand the value.

I was introduced to a guy who was a recruiter for finance firms. I started working with this person a couple years ago, but then he was moving to a new city and things dragged out. A couple months later he ended up switching companies, so I jumped through the hoops of his new employer only to find out that his new employer didn't specialize in the types of finance jobs I wanted.

Also I've not had to interview for a job for over 10 years. I lack in basic social skills. Although I've come a long way the last couple years, I suspect I'll do awful interviewing. Get me in a casual situation with someone who truly knows this stuff and I'm sure I can impress.

And now you have another long post from me (no alcohol involved this time and maybe there wasn't the last time, I don't remember).

TLDR; Fear is stopping me. I'm too risk averse to move to a HCOL area. I had begun working with a recruiter, it fizzled out, and I didn't continue on my own. I'll probably actively pursue a career in this field soon.

#48     Aug 19, 2018
  9. qlai

qlai

Thank you for your truthful response. I didn't mean to pry. I have a lot of common with you, so that's why I asked. I, for one, have been impressed by your posts so hopefully your rant will attract some positive attention. If I hear of something with remote possibility I will pm you. Can you post or pm me your programming language of choice?

#49     Aug 19, 2018
  10. sle

sle

You are a perfect fit for a quant fund :)

#50     Aug 19, 2018