Which motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Aug 24, 2010.

1. nitro

nitro

Forgot pic

[​IMG]

#31     Mar 19, 2011
  2. I've had several BMW's. I always put pull-backs on the handlebar mounts for a more upright ride, along with taller windscreen. You can only go back so far on some models unless you start replacing cables.

FWIW.

#32     Mar 20, 2011
  3. #33     Mar 20, 2011
  4. r-in

r-in

#34     Mar 24, 2011
  5. #35     Mar 25, 2011
  6. nitro

nitro

Are helmets helmets, or is there one that is definitely better than another as far as comfort, breathing, safety etc?

#36     Mar 2, 2012
  7. Helmets are a try it on deal. I have a Norton and it fits great. Aria is great, but couldn't get one that fit just right. Unless you never drive more than 15 minutes you need something that works for your head and comfort.

#37     Mar 2, 2012
  8. nitro

nitro

Thanks.

I was thinking of this one, mostly because it is loud and the one thing about a motorcycle that worries me is that people don't see you:

http://www.ohsmotorsports.com/p-378...replica.aspx?gclid=CKPorIHRya4CFULrKgod9mlG-g

#38     Mar 2, 2012
  9. I have ridden off and on for 45 years. Assuming a helmet meets basic DOT specs, the most important thing for me is that it is quiet at freeway speeds. I hate wind whistle. Next is airflow and how well it can clear a fogged face shield. Third is weight, some are burdensome.
    All of that is of course starting with a helmet that is comfortable.

Having said that, I found myself wearing a non-dot approved skullcap more often, simply because of noise and the barrier to the sounds and smells that make a slow ride though the country most pleasant.

#39     Mar 2, 2012
  10. nitro

nitro

Ok, I finally took a class. The class is given on Thursday night, Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. I got through day three and ten minutes before the end of the day, I was unable to finish it because I made a silly mistake when coming to a complete stop, I pulled a hamstring trying to hold up the bike after it started leaning (I didn't square the handle bars for some reason probably from exhastion) and my right leg tried to hold up nearly all 800 lbs of the bike. So I am going to have to go back and retake the last two days another day. I am in pain from the pulled hamstring and can barely walk, but I went on Sunday anyway to see if I could do it, and it was deemed inappropriate.

Here is what I have learned:

I got an Arai helmet. It was not the one pictured earlier, but a more basic model. What I found is that generally these more expensive helmets were made of lighter composites. I also learned that imo, you need two helmets depending on the kind of riding you are going to to be doing, a three quarter and a full helmet. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the three quarter helmet for the class, and then the full when I was ready to ride. When you are going no faster than 20 MPH (not even that most of the time), a three quarter helmet provides plenty of protection, and it breathes easier and is less claustrophobic, both of which help when learning.

I took a class where the motorcycles were terribly kept and in poor working order. I was fighting the freaking thing all day long trying to get it into neutral, starting the bike, and generally stalling it. The side of my hips hurt from the riding position which I did not expect, but I guess I am not used to sitting that way. My hands and wrists hurt like crazy towards the end. This is a bad combination given my inexperience and the 95 degree heat and humidity. I am certain that my accident was that my mind made a judgment error due to sheer exhaustion. It was a lesson well learned though: don't ride if tired or otherwise emotionally in a bad way.

I asked if I could take the course on my own bike, and they said not that particular course but that the advanced riding course one could. Sigh.

I think I decided on a bike. The instructors (whom were great btw) told me this was more than a starter bike and would last me at least a couple to many years. I am going to move the pegs forward, and get a humble fearing on it. As I gain experience, I will add a seat to the back, and perhaps some humble bags.

I am angry at myself for getting injured and not being able to finish, but it's all spilt milk now. The instructors also pointed out a positive, I get to practice more, which is never a bad thing. True.

I loved riding BTW. Motorcycles are the ultimate convertible.

[​IMG]

#40     Jul 23, 2012