Which motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Aug 24, 2010.

1. r-in

r-in

Hoodman, I won't argue with you. Between people who act like idiots on their bikes, or assume since they rode a bicycle they can ride a motorcycle, or the inattentive car drivers, it can be dangerous.

#21     Aug 24, 2010
  2. Picaso

Picaso

I was going to tell you how he/they did it, but in a sense you beat me to it... I think he's riding the 400 Japanese version (and that they modified the stickers to make it look the 750). Either that or, as someone mentioned, they lowered the seat (Honda does it for the ladies). I haven't seen anyone with modified (longer) handlebars in sport bikes.

See, in Japan they have two things going for 400cc bikes: 1) you can use the regular motorcycle license (you need a different one for >400), regardless of its horsepower; 2) Japanese are not exactly tall and they manufacture their 400's (that go mostly to its domestic market) with a lower seat = less leaning forward if you're taller.

Also the posture varies with the speed/wind. You can sit almost upright in most sport bikes with your arms mostly extended and leaning your weight on the handles provided you're riding slowly; as you ride faster you will have to lean forward (and shift your weight to your torso and butt) or the wind will seriously pull you back. So, if you want to ride in a more upright position, get a slighter taller fairing (worse aerodynamics, but unless you want to ride crazy fast, more comfortable riding).

Oh, and don't forget to get you belly button pierced :D :p

#22     Aug 24, 2010
  3. Forget motorcycles. They are meant to shred your flesh from your bones.

Get a scooter instead:

[​IMG]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrmaLRp24wU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrmaLRp24wU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety#Consequences_of_accidents

PA

#23     Aug 24, 2010
  4. The Triumph Speed Triple is meant be to really comfortable to ride. It's a naked bike which most people either love or hate. I like it.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, you can fit risers to your bars or just buy new bars with a higher riding position. And you can always shift the existing bars back with an allen key. Plenty of options. Risers start at about $100.

If comfort is what you're after then you want look at sports tourers. Anything derived from racing technology will be uncomfortable after 15 minutes.

Runningbar

#24     Aug 24, 2010
  5. nitro

nitro

That is very interesting and makes some sense. Thanks.

Thanks to all other very interesting suggestions from everyone else as well. I learned quite a bit.

#25     Aug 24, 2010
  6. You need one of these.

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

Intrinsically safer, and still get performance , comfort, AND you wouldn't believe how many people I've heard of who forgot to put down the sidestand and dropped their bike at the servo.

Long rides can get real tiring-actually did that myself once. Embarrassing.:)

#26     Aug 24, 2010
  7. there's no roadter that i can lie my back and the head can see what I want :D

#27     Aug 24, 2010
  8. #28     Aug 25, 2010
  9. nitro

nitro

Try riding Marisa Miller for hours or the Harley?

In all seriousness, Harley tend to be loud (at least the ones I get to see) and that just ruins everything for me. No question though, there is something about them...

#29     Aug 26, 2010
  10. nitro

nitro

This bike has really grown on me. Hmmm....

#30     Mar 19, 2011