Which monitors are less eye-straining?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crgarcia, Apr 17, 2008.

1. LCDs are supposed to be easier on eyes than tube ones.

Is there something better among LCDs?

2. maxpi

maxpi

Apple monitors are great. I have a Princeton piece of garbage that came with a used Dell that is horrible. I can't look at it for 10 seconds and I can't really figure out why but it's really bad. There is a certain brand of monitor that is used nearly exclusively by photographers, try googling up monitor and photography, it's gotta be the best... it's an NEC that is tweaked so the colors can be calibrated perfectly if I recall correctly.

3. Give me my Samsung's all day everyday.

4. There are lots of variations of resolution and aspect ratio when it comes to LCD's. In other words, not all LCD's are the same. In fact, there are some big differences when it comes to the various viewing angles that are supported by active matrix technologies.

The TN (TFT) flat panels are usually the cheapest LCD's, with the IPS -LCD being of higher quality since it uses 2 transistors for each pixel instead of the single transistor used by a standard thin-film (TFT) display. There is also the Vertical Alignment type of matrix technology ( VA ) which is even more of an improvement over the IPS matrix in that it has improved viewing angles and an improved black level.

"Although LCDs typically have more vibrant images and better "real-world" contrast ratios (the ability to maintain contrast and variation of color in bright environments) than CRTs, they do have lower contrast ratios than CRTs in terms of how deep their blacks are. A contrast ratio is the difference between a completely on (white) and off (black) pixel, and LCDs can have "backlight bleed" where light (usually seen around corners of the screen) leaks out and turns black into gray. However, as of December 2007, the very best LCDs can approach the contrast ratios of plasma displays in terms of delivering a deep black."

Here is a chart from Wikipedia explaining what I mean regarding aspect ratio's and viewing angles using "WUXGA" as an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUXGA

5. jsv416

jsv416

The Imac has a 24 inch full HD screen that is so easy on my eyes. I also have a LG 19 inch that I used to think was clear, now I think it is a blurry piece of crap next to the Imac screen. My eyes used to get bloodshot and tired at the end of a day of trading. The Imac screen has done away with that....

6. the newer samgsungs and dells are fabulous.

7. My first LCD monitor was a NEC with something they called Opticlear. I have kept buying NEC's with Opticlear. When I see other people's screens, I am just not accustomed to that look.