Which Linux distribution do you use?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Joe, May 22, 2005.

1. zook

zook

The point was not for photo shop, but the fact that I have so much windows based software for my business. I just hate windows and want to switch. But if I can't then I won't.:(

#11     May 22, 2005
  2. ubuntu if i want a quick fix if my gentoo is broken beyond repair.

waiting on a gentoo installer. anyone got a good source of compiled binary packages for gentoo?

#12     May 22, 2005
  3. Isn't the fact that Gentoo is source based part of why it is desirable? As for a broken installation, I have learned the hard way that making an image of a happy Gentoo installation is extrêmement recommandé, particularly before updating. Nononsense might wish to elaborate here, but the basic info is to use Partimage (free) or Acronis. External Firewire drives are on the cheap - just place the image there for safe-keeping.

#13     May 22, 2005
  4. Debian... apt-get is amazing

#14     May 23, 2005
  5. If you are looking for compiled packages, I have to wonder if you're really using the right distribution. I use Gentoo despite its many flaws, precisely because of the benefits I get by compiling from sources. If you're not compiling from source, Gentoo really has absolutely nothing going for it.

Martin

#15     May 23, 2005
  6. For all its flaws, Windows has application compatibility that is untouched by any other operating system. If your primary goal is to run Windows binaries, then there's really no reason to run anything but Windows.

Wine, the simulated Windows execution environment for Linux, is a tempermental and difficult beast. I'm not criticizing the authors, they took on a supremely difficult task. But it can be a real pain in the ass getting a Windows app to run smoothly under Wine, and even if you get it running I wouldn't recommend using it for business critical purposes.

Martin

#16     May 23, 2005
  7. I use Slackware.

#17     May 23, 2005
  8. source... yes... but if i want a system up & running quickly. gentoo is out of the door...

i want a system up & running with X, KDE, GNOME... basic set of apps. so i can get started.

after a basic system is setup, i'll compile some apps to optimize for performance. but in the mean time, it has to work.

i like gentoo for its emerge program, it allows you update apps with ease. it is the best one i've used. i've tried RPM, debian. they all suck in their own special ways. emerge has some problems, but they are managable.

also gentoo has the most comprehensive documentation i've ever seen from distros i've used in the past (RH, mandrake, debian)

#18     May 23, 2005
  9. You're absolutely right Elite!
    Of course, you have to make sure, when making an image of your root partition, that you are not running from the same OS. Boot a different linux, easiest from a livecd. Partimage is on the Knoppix livecd. (I also believe that gentoo now put it on its 2005.0 livecd). One more detail: with partimage, make sure you chose the right extension when entering a filename for your compressed image.
    Works like a charm. Takes only 10-20 minutes for the job.
    I do this systematically before every upgrade, however trivial.

Don't make yourself believe other distro's are less subject to mishaps. (Let's not even mention M$ :D ). With proper precaution, I don't find debian any more reliable than gentoo. In fact you are always far behind and up to date hardware requires lots of tinkering if you want to have everything going. You get perhaps more stability with debian if you are prepared to run on a linux of 2 years back. apt is Ok but no match for portage. Of course, debian is also great. If you hesitate, you should get experience with both and then decide.

One final note. The truth with backups is that if you follow the discipline rigorously, chances are you'll never need them! :cool: I run 4 linux systems at my place and haven't done a restore for about a year now - only as an exercise! Don't forget to exercise though. It's like the firebrigade drills.

About Ubuntu. Doesn't look bad if it runs. I tried the livecd on all 4 my machines. It ran on 2, on the other 2 it didn't. Knoppix livecd ran on all 4! So I'll try again with a future version. Not ready for me yet!

Be good,
    nononsense

#19     May 23, 2005
  10. That is not quite right. Compiling your gentoo OS doesn't take that much time! Especially if you got over the initial kiddy-trauma. :) Of course you have to be willing to learn a few new things. As you pointed out, gentoo has many advantages too. Nothing comes easy. I hopped from one distro to another for quite some time, till I settled for gentoo. I sometimes ponder these questions again, but all by all, I think I'm best with gentoo (for now :D )

The big time goes in compiling the applications. You can load everything, at least the big stuff, from the gentoo binary CD though. Goes as fast as with any other OS. You shout NOT UPDATE portage though prior to doing this, otherwise things will not match with your binary CD. After having installed everything you want, you can update as usual.

PS: You are absolutely right about the gentoo documentation. They have a great forum too. This helped me a lot. Very nice community.

#20     May 23, 2005