Which language to use (Novice Programmer)

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by H2O, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mokomo

mokomo

Unless you really are interested in exploring C/C#/VB/Java/Python (it'll never be a waste to at least explore some of these languages) you do not need to become a programmer in such languages in order to achieve the executon triggers you describe (though not if there is a very high frequency of triggers).

As a previous poster says, a metalanguage like WL could be just what you need (check out WL & Quaccess) or you could use excel with the api of your broker platform to run an autotrader etc. This will still require some learning, but you'll achieve results much more quickly this way.

There is always QuantStudio/QuantDeveloper, but you'll need to know C# to get the most from that. And it is TOO expensive compared to WealthLab and other such better featured high-level platforms with huge helpful user communities and rich forums.

#51     Jan 19, 2006
  2. nitro

nitro

Then why not do it in WealthLab or TradeStation or Neoticker or the like?

nitro

#52     Jan 19, 2006
  3. H2O

H2O

Because I have execution software that I use at my firm, I want to use the datafeed from my software, and than execute.

#53     Jan 19, 2006
  4. nitro

nitro

Got it.

R, if the systems are the same ones you were discussing with me a while back, imo the easiest thing to do is to see if you can hire someone that can do a WL addin that can connect it to your datafeed/execution from your firms API.

If the systems are much simpler than what you were doing before, than the route you are looking for here is the way to go, but a tough learning curve.

nitro

#54     Jan 19, 2006
  5. Do any of you guys know of a good, free compiler for C, C++, and or C#? I've read through the book once all ready and want to get up and running.
    Thanks

#55     Jan 25, 2006
  6. Didn't someone say that Microsoft was offering "lite" versions of the latest rev of Visual Studio products for free right now?

#56     Jan 25, 2006
  7. LOL, yea me. I forgot about that!

#57     Jan 25, 2006
  8. H2O

H2O

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

#58     Jan 25, 2006

9. Question:
    So what's the most widely used piece of software in finance (proper IB decision making, actually making money type stuff, not middle/back office or sole trader at home)

Answer:
    Excel.

#59     Jan 25, 2006
  10. mokomo

mokomo

Excel - it is hard to imagine a world without it.

#60     Jan 25, 2006