Which is your style, Follow or Counter the trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by bighog, Dec 15, 2005.

1. martys

You are actually a trend trader and might not realize it...when u said "new trend"...........u r trading new trend so you are not counter to trend u r with trend.........am i correct? if not please enlighten and have a great trading life.........george

#21     Dec 20, 2005
  2. cheese,

if u really believe that then where did the word trend come from...........? just curious......thanks george

#22     Dec 20, 2005
  3. bighog

U r right on the money.......counter trend trading is tough stuff..............not worth the battle when u can see the obvious difference in with/against trend entries and ensuing moves/runs.......5 yrs of seeing the same seems to convey the message right between the ears and eyes.........it is simply FOLLOWING PRICE DIRECTION.........I THINK THAT IS IMPORTANT...ACTUALLY I KNOW THAT IS IMPORTANT..just for grins the 100%.......but close as 9 is to 10.........breakeven is great as long as all trades are not breakeven......retracements are too easy to recognize...........with the right system or the eyes....GEORGE

#23     Dec 20, 2005
  4. Cheese

Cheese

Fair point.
    Sure, you can draw inter-day trend lines for the purposes of a background visual. Fact is the money is in the gyrations (eg index futures).
    :)

#24     Dec 21, 2005
  5. i think everyone tries to find bottoms there first year or so. After loosing 2 or 3 accounts you usually go trade with the trend. The only thing with trend system you loose big in the chop.

#25     Dec 21, 2005
  6. Surdo

Surdo

I prefer the round bottoms as well.

#26     Dec 21, 2005
  7. there are 3 markets emini's ...........up down sideways..........all can be traded.......successfully........trend....range...whipsaw....develop systems to fit.........or if u can develop one system that fits all........it is possible....not easy........

#27     Dec 21, 2005
  8. bighog

bighog Guest

Cheese

But what is "YOUR" definition of a gyration as it pertains to intraday e-mini trading?

If you are not trading the intraday trends, then are you saying the gyrations are the areas between the support/resistance spots (between the pivot lines)?

do you call the "RANGES" gyrations? Thanks

#28     Dec 21, 2005
  9. Cheese

Cheese

Divorce yourself from what goes on before or after any trading day market (eg Dow index). What occurs each day is the familiar W or M day, or it can be a V day, an N day or an A day. The apparently elastic intraday movement up and down are gyrations.

You may say instead intra-day trends or mini-trends or mini-channels. I don't; I have a completely neutral mindset. Trend means it is trending or could be part of a larger trend beyond one day.

But, no, I wouldn't argue semantics if your want to use your own words.
    :)

#29     Dec 21, 2005
  10. re-inventing proven 100 yr old stuff doesn't work.......the trend is your friend......the only ones who don't trade with the trend are counter trend traders and they have a tough life.......in the end.... changing terminology is like changing fat to fluffy.....still fat.......like porgie......

#30     Dec 21, 2005