Which is worse: Losing, or opportunity lost/leaving $ on the table

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by .sigma, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Branos

Branos

Losses can happen in any business and you have to understand that. And each of us sometimes have to take risks without the full confidence that everything will work out. I'm more for waiting and assessing the situation sometimes. Of course, there may be a situation when you regret not taking a risk, but on the other hand, you can achieve good positive results with quiet regular trading and in my opinion this is a safer solution that I could choose for myself. I can be wrong and there are certainly those who will say that you have to take risks otherwise the results will always be average no more. But I feel so much safer and thanks to this I do not feel any shocks that can take me out of work for a couple of weeks.

#31     Jan 2, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Gaston

Gaston

My thoughts exactly.

#32     Jan 3, 2020
  3. %%
    You may be right, NOT that you are a mind reader.LOL. BUT good thing about a good up TREND, like QQQ, even a 2000 MAR,3 year bear killing 80% down; we are nicely up from there.Good thing for the bulls; strong 1st quarter, 4th quarters + most tech companies are run much better than TSLA................................................................................................................

#33     Jan 6, 2020
  4. I think I need to add more contracts when I see that I am right about the trade. For example, some trades may be pure TA, and some you just know that you are right based on PA. The ones you know are going to work out, you should try to add more contracts.

#34     Jan 8, 2020
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Buffett: When you see a fat pitch, don't bunt. :D

#35     Jan 8, 2020
    oraclewizard77 likes this.
  6. Missing out on a trade can be extremely frustrating, but losing money is much worse!
    Primarily this frustration is based in greed as we busily consume ourselves with the pips we “would have made”. By giving into this emotion we often forget that our trading accounts are still intact and we have other market opportunities available. If this feeling of greed goes unnoticed it may elicit a response of revenge, in order to “get even” with the market. More often than not this response results in disaster, as a trader may consider taking bad trades not in line with their trading plan or increasing their leverage to quickly makeup for a missed opportunity. Do not fall in this trap.

#36     Jan 17, 2020
  7. bulls95

bulls95

As such both are important for me. However, losing out is actually bigger. What if we lose more than we have for trading. We might not be able to regain the confidence to trade again. So that's worse than missing out an opportunity surely.

#37     Jan 21, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. This is really perfect response.

#38     Jan 28, 2020
  9. Bree98

Bree98

For me, its losing. New trading opportunities keep arising every second, but the funds once lost cannot be recovered in any form. So losing is worse in any case.

#39     Feb 5, 2020