Which is the best day of the week to buy stocks historically?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by learner88, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

What would be a fundamental reason for testing this? Wednesday gaps are larger than Thursday gaps because...?

#21     Dec 6, 2018
  2. ughh. I dont know the answer yet...I am getting the same result for measuring spikes in my AAPL chart which shows bigger "action" on Wednesdays(ie the long white lines with the green lines representing friday>mondays) ... the issue is this wed phenomenon is NOT cross corroborated/verified by straddle purchase backtests. If histogram below is accurate, wednesdays straddle buys 9:30a sold at 4pm should make more $$$ than straddles bought the other 4 days. upload_2018-12-6_19-11-14.png c

#22     Dec 6, 2018
  3. %%
    Good thing we're not colorblind :cool::cool:LOL
    January forecaster [UP Jan] has worked about 88% to 100%[in the past] depending on where one starts the 50 year data search. I was looking @ that -Mr Hirsh book chart early[Stock Traders Almanac.] early today.

But when it fails ,it can be big failure-1987 NasdaQ was a down year;with an up big time Jan, 1987.In other words any Jan up has an 88% to 100% chance [of past performance,LOL]of year being positive.Nothing in this post is a prediction; not bank insured.

#23     Dec 7, 2018
  4. I have attended several of the webinars that Larry Williams has presented over the years and one of the things that he tracks is best day of a given week, best days of the month et cetera. However I don't recall whether or not he pins it down to "Wednesdays" or "Fridays". I think he would try to isolate "x" number of days into the month or before month end.

Perhaps he has something about it on his IReallyTrade.com website.

#24     Dec 8, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    I like one of his free books he mailed me; not sure what he means by, by his[current LOL] green chart of GE, priced @ $22 area. IBD still has GE below 200dma.Interesting, Fidelity ContraFund noted it was a reason for last years big gains-avoided a GE buy .
    :D
    I finally found a DOW/DIA related benchmark i like=SDOW; but i warned a trader about 52 weeks ago ,it tends to not make money unless we are in a bear market.Even though they buy it some mondays-its inverse buy. NOT bank insured-may go down.

#25     Dec 10, 2018
    Patrick Slevin likes this.