which is best to do long term investment/intraday?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by johnmmf, Jan 25, 2018.

1. johnmmf

johnmmf

Suggest some opinions regarding it!

2. tomorton

tomorton

Neither is any good and is too high risk for most people.

I would advise long-term TRADING off daily charts. Be prepared to hold overnight obviously but also across several weekends. Therefore target selection is important.

johnmmf likes this.
  3. johnmmf

johnmmf

if i fall in loss in long-term trading then there is any kind of steps to overcome with that loss? or what kind of steps to be more preferable which i had to use at the time of loss.

4. tomorton

tomorton

Some trades will be losers unless you chance on a 100% win rate strategy, so don't obsess over these. Keep your account alive by making sure each loser is only a small % of the capital in the account. Always set a stop-loss so the loss per trade is controlled and predictable.

Demo trade first. Use a simple strategy - don' look at charts in more than 2 time-frames, 1 off-chart indicator (if any), no more than 2 MA's. As you learn, make small incremental changes but focus on doing this with the winners.

Select targets that have narrow spreads and few overnight / over-weekend big gaps. Reject stock tips and anything you hear on TV about company performance and market bullishness / bearishness. If buying stocks, only buy if their index is also bullish.

Generally its risky to buy when price is a a new high or to short when price is at a new low.

johnmmf likes this.
  5. johnmmf

johnmmf

Thanks a lot! if i set a Stop-loss while doing trading as a security position,so there is any strategies i have to keep in my mind or i have to set up a SL in a small % only?

6. tomorton

tomorton

Most people set their stop-loss so that if triggered the capital loss will be small %age from your account. Many argue for 2%, some go down to 0.5%, on a trade following a strong trend I am happy to go to 5%, very few go higher than 10% per trade. Remember that even if each trade has a maximum risk of 2% loss if the SL is triggered if you are holding say 10 S&P500 stocks, they will probably all move up or down in step, so your risk in the event of a deep market downturn triggering all your stops is 20%.

Some people know their strategies so well they will use a larger risk % for a safer trade.

Always set a SL, but bear in mind that a gap can jump across your SL price and your SL order will be executed beyond it. This isn't an argument for a very high % risk.

The best place for the stop is where price on reaching it proves that your reason for opening the trade is now more probably wrong, the most important element of a strategy being the price you pay to get out, not the price you pay to get in.

Xela and johnmmf like this.
  7. johnmmf

johnmmf

yes!in simple words you explain me a lot..Thanks a lot,initially i got a lot of helping learning strategies.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    murray t turtle and Xela like this.
  8. davenz

davenz

For stocks - long-term investing.
    For forex - short-term. (I don't know about you, but I prefer to get my profits and get out before the classic FX choppiness kicks in!).

IMO

johnmmf likes this.
  9. %%
    Both; i dont know about 4ex. But to do any kind of trading +investing i have to enter/exit intraday, exact close is to busy for me LOL.:D:D

10. Jack1960

Jack1960

Do both

#10     Jan 25, 2018
    johnmmf and murray t turtle like this.