which insurance company is in the brink?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Brandonf, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

2. mokwit

mokwit

Probably AIG - maybe he has just woken up when he heard the dinner bell ring.

3. just as I clicked this thread, there was an add for Hartford on CNN...

4. mokwit

mokwit

Hmmm, Refco started advertising on CNN just a few days before............

5. trendy

trendy

"We don't have a lot of leeway on time," Reid told reporters in the Capitol. "One of the individuals in the caucus today talked about a major insurance company -- a major insurance company -- one with a name that everyone knows that's on the verge of going bankrupt. That's what this is all about."

He did not identify the insurance company, and later in the day Reid spokesman Jim Manley said the senator was speaking broadly and not referring to anything specific.

"Senator Reid is not personally aware of any particular company being on the verge of bankruptcy," Manley wrote in an e-mail to ABCNews.com. "Rather, his comments were meant to refer to the conditions in the financial sector generally. He regrets any confusion his comments may have caused."

Harry "Dingbat" Reid

6. AIG life insurance ads were all over TV in the weeks before they sank below $5. An attempt to gather assets.

If I remember correctly, Hartford issued a generic denial today, saying "everything's ok". That would be fine, but that's how all the other financial death spirals started.

7. rros

rros

MET down 14% today but not heavy volume. HIG down 7% on heavy volume.

8. mokwit

mokwit

" a major insurance company -- a major insurance company -- one with a name that everyone knows that's on the verge of going bankrupt" Doesn't sound like he is speaking "generally" to me.

9. Maybe Buffett will open up his wallet again.

50 years from now we'll all be dead and everyone will look back on '08 and say "gee whiz, If I had a billion dollars to invest in '08 I'd be a millionaire today."

10. LOL............... very funny!
    :D

#10     Oct 1, 2008